Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"The tide always turns". -the little book of inspirational thoughts

I had today off, so Michael and I went for the breakfast buffet at the Ritz-Carlton at 10am. I never knew there was a Ritz-Carlton here, and when we took a taxi there, I understood why. It is off on it's own little peninsula so is off the beaten track if you are headed west to Red Hook. The view and the facility are absolutely gorgeous! My first reaction was, "WOW"! I don't have that reaction much any more, lol. The buffet was in their fine dining restaurant, Blue Waters. NO comparison to Bolongo Bay's breakfast buffet! The Ritz had a hot egg station-you could get eggs any way you wanted, including omelets. They had a separate baker's rack off to one side that had multiple breads, muffins, bagels, English muffins and coffee cakes to chose from (although I told Michael if you want the best and freshest choices you should be one of the first people at the buffet-I told him not to eat the Bolongo breakfast buffet yesterday). They had butcher block tables down a center isle from the egg station that had sliced fruit, lox and cream cheese, oatmeal, sausages, bacon, mushroom and eggplant frittatas, as well as one or two other things I can't remember. It was all nicely displayed and they used nice serving pieces. Bolongo uses some chaffing dishes for hot food. The Ritz used chaffing stands but they had Dutch ovens with a round metal disc at the bottom to help keep the food warm. Very interesting and obviously it works for them.

After breakfast, it was a short walk to the spa. We were greeted by Carolie, a tiny little black girl, so friendly and warm. Michael and I looked at fleece jackets that were for sale at the front of the spa-I'll be going to DC from St Thomas but left my winter coat with Jordan and Janell when I left LA-so I will need something to wear. None really to my likeing. Then it was off to the women's locker room to change into a robe. The same woman-Jennifer-who did my massage, also did my facial. The massage was wonderful! That was first. When you start off on your stomach and have your face planted in the small head ring at the top of the table, you tend to get some nasal congestion. When Jennifer asked me to turn onto my back, one of the first things she did after I was settled, was to put two dots of some menthol ointment at the base of my nose. My congestion cleared right up! Ingenious! While I was getting my massage, Michael waited in the "tranquility room" for his noon appointment to get his hair cut. After my massage and facial, that's where I waited for my manicure and pedicure. The colors are muted, there are curtains that can almost enclose each chair so you have some privacy, there are foot stools to prop your feet up on and the cover you with light blankets while you wait for you next appointment (or just hang out, lol). They also serve tea and water all "natural".
Lily did my mani/pedi. Nice work! I now have pink toes and pink nails! Then it was back to Bolongo to get ready for dinner.

We took a cab to "Room With A View", a restaurant at Bluebeard's Castle. A portion of the original castle still exists and has been worked into the main body of this resort. Apparently it used to be the nicest resort on the island, but has fallen into disrepair. It is under new ownership and is being remodeled. The view is great, the food-not so much. Oceana offered better food and better service. Room With A View had a larger wine list, but that was about it. I had a Caesar Salad and Flounder Thermadore. The salad was good, the fish, over cooked. Michael had Curried Scallops and Snapper in Lemon Butter Caper Sauce. Not bad. He had Coconut Flan for dessert, which he liked. I thought it had a metallic after taste to it. I ordered Apple Strudel with Vanilla ice cream. Neither had much taste, so I left them, though I hate to waste food! As we left, the waiter came out to talk with Mike. Apparently, he did not think we had left enough of a tip because he wanted to know if we had a problem with the service. Michael had a short talk with him, then the waiter went back inside. I don't think I'll be going back there.

Back to Bolongo again where we walked a bit, then sat at one of the tables outside of the Lobster Grille and chatted. Michael leaves tomorrow afternoon. I work days the next two days, so he will be on his own. It has been so nice having him here. He has been very generous to me which is greatly appreciated! I only have two weeks left here, then I leave. I am sure it will fly by! I have been offered a per diem nurse job when I get back to Reno-being the fill in Pre-Admit Nurse at SCOR three days a pay period. I am going to think about it over the weekend. At least it would be some income while I decide what culinary avenue to pursue. Lots to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment