Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday, February 26' 2011

I got up and went into work at 6:30am, but no one else was there but me and two of the waitresses, Gloria and Priscilla. No Cliff and no new guy, Cesar. First I started setting up the pantry, but then when it got later and later, I started setting up hotline too. At 6:45am, I called Janee, as I didn't know who else to call, but got her voicemail (she was sleeping). Gloria was kind enough to start putting bacon on sheet trays for me (we bake them in the oven, four sheets full at a time-6 total). FINALLY, Clif showed up close to 7am. He said he had called the front desk and said he was having trouble finding a taxi so would be late, but no one passed that message on to the restaurant people (me). The two of us got all set up, then breakfast eaters started coming in right at 7:30am. Carl came in at 8am. Breakfast was busy, as usual, lunch was busier than usual, which makes the time pass more quickly. Lots and lots of club sandwiches for me to make today! The funny thing is, even though I was scared, I think I would have been ok setting everything up in both stations and cooking til Carl got there at 8am. Just something else that shows me how much I have learned and what I am comfortable doing. I'm just glad it happened at the end of my three months and not at the begining, lol!

Cesar never did show up. No one had his number, so Denise (the day manager), waited until Janee came in at 2pm. I told them Jeff, at Iggie's had Cesar's number. Turns out Cesar walked out of here yesterday and told the front desk he would not be back! He told Denise this afternoon, "the management very bad, I not be back". (Cesar is from Puerto Rico). Imagine! I am not entirely surprised, having had almost the same reaction at the beginning of my internship. So I worked all day today and I will not be getting tomorrow (Sunday) off. That's just the way it is. Things always work out the way they are suppose to. Jeff, the Iggie's kitchen manager, cornered me as I left work today, wanting to know what happened yesterday when Cesar was here. I told him I did not work yesterday, but that if Cesar had the same initial reaction to Millie, Cliff and Carl that I did, I am not surprised he walked out. I wanted to do the same thing. I saidmit takes them a long time to warm up to people, if they ever do (Roy quit and he started a week or so before I did). I am happy, though, that I can finally look back on this internship and see more of the positive about it than the negative.

After I left work, I showered, then went and got an ice cream bar, lol. It helped me feel better, but I figured I'd go to the beach, that would be better at calming me and helping me relax. I stopped by the LG bar and asked Harry for a diet coke, which he gave me along with some smack. I had heard this morning that he was feeling fiesty and flirting with all the women, lol. So as I write about the happenings of the first part of the day, I am sitting in my beach chair, soaking up the last bit of sun and watching Heavenly Daze load up for the Sunset Cruise. I thought about taking it tonight for the last time but I am meeting June (from HR) and her husband for dinner at Iggie's tonight at 7pm. It's all you can eat crab night, lol! And I hear June likes crab a lot!

I will come back and finish this after dinner and give you the complete scoop. I am back from dinner. I went down to Iggie's about 7pm to wait for June et al. I talked a bit to some of the waiters and waitresses. I talked with Matt, the other intern. He worked this morning as a host at the LG, seating people, etc. He did well but he still is not sure what he is going to do. He is in a splint and will be for a while. June came about 7:30pm. She was by herself, her husband was not feeling well. Whoever else she invited did not come. She and I finally got a table. The restaurant was packed when I got there at 7pm! June had all you can eat crab, I had the crab dinner that comes with three or four sets of legs as it is. The crab is great, but it sure is a lot of work for a small amount of crab!! June had a great time. She treated me to a glass of wine, which was nice. We had a good talk. She asked me if I was coming back. At first I said no. She said everyone really likes you-especially management. I was kinda surprised to hear that! I ended up telling her that I had offered to come down seasonally but only if they hired me as a baker/pastry chef. She thought that was a great idea! No promises.

We called it a night at 9:30pm. I have to get up early to work-no day off, no matter what people keep trying to do for me. Not a biggy. I always thought I would work anyway. And I should be done by 2:30pm. So early night, early wake up call. All good!

No comments:

Post a Comment