Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday, February 12, 2011

"It's not the journey or the destination. It's the seat mate".

I got to sleep in today, don't have to go to work til 4pm. Looks like today and tomorrow will be my last shifts at Iggie's. I will be working the day shift at the Lobster Grille my last two weeks here. It's only two weeks, right?

I finished my online class called "Starting a Home Business". It had a lot of good advise in it. I'll be starting another class tomorrow. Although I need to figure out how to make three cakes before Monday. I am making a Chocolate Torte (flour less) served with Chambord Chantilly and garnished with raspberries (provided we can get them) for the Valentine's Day Special Dinner. Janee wants two tortes, which makes good sense. Anne and Bill, whom I met today, the same Bill of the birthday cake, asked me to make another cake for them. I said I'd love to although they would have to go through the proper channels seeing I am only an intern here. I told them I was thinking of a yellow cake filled with strawberries and frosted with cream cheese frosting. Bill said he'd get right on it, lol. Nice people from New York State. Apparently they have been coming here every year for quite some time! After that, I picked up my laundry and went to work.

When I got to Iggie's at 4pm, I was tasked with making two fruit plates for the wedding party. The wedding took place under the arch on the beach. A tent (with no sides, just the roof) had been set up west of Iggie's on the beach so they were apart from the restaurant. Jeff was pretty much doing things a la minute or last minute. Not what usually happens with banquet. I cut eight honeydew melons, six cantaloupe, two watermelons, and three pineapples into squares, triangles and spears (the pineapples). Then put them artfully on a huge platter as an appetizer. It was served with Pina Colada Yogurt dipping sauce. The second fruit platter was even bigger and was served as part of the dessert course. There was coconut milk dipping sauce to go with that. Janee helped with some of the prep and left instructions for Jeff on what to serve and how, since he's new at this. I also made Caesar Salad for 56 (the size of the wedding party and guests)! And in between doing the tasks I had to do and Jennifer and Mary working the line (they fried up crab cakes, spring rolls, fish and chicken for the wedding party), we all had to fill orders that came in through the restaurant from the regular guests. We were busy all night. I was tired and hot when I got off work! I came back, took a shower, talked to Jordan, am writing on my blog, then it's time for bed. A long day.

We will see what tomorrow holds..

No comments:

Post a Comment