Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday, February 20, 2011

"When the chips are down, bring on the cheese dip!"

Another early day. Me and Cliff setting up, Carl coming in at 8am. What we didn't realize until later in the day is that our dishwasher never showed up. You get so busy doing on the little chores that need done to run the kitchen, it takes a while to notice some things (like when you run out of dishes or the waitresses complain they have no cups!). No one seemed to know who was scheduled or why they didn't show up. Crazy!

I set up pantry and filled some orders until Carl came in to work (he gets there at 7:30am and walks around the kitchen but won't even talk about anything to do with cooking "because they don't pay me until 8-I don't care, come in early but stay out of the kitchen until you clock in). We had no bananas today, no Mango Banana Nut Bread and no papayas. I don't even remember getting an order from the warehouse, but I think they are closed on Sundays. Always interesting having to "86" something before you even start your day! I ended up doing most of the hot line in the morning. Just when I thought I was getting really good at flipping eggs in the frying pan (you need a non-stick fry pan, oiled and good wrist action), I lost an egg on top of the stove and had to start again, lol. At least it was only eggs! As long as the pan is not too heavy, I can flip most things in a fry pan with no or minimal loss. I don't feel too bad about that, cause it seems everyone loses a little of what's in the pan and don't seem to care. A large fry pan takes two hands for me to flip, the guys still need just one hand. Ah, well, larger hands, more muscles does have some advantage. Being able to multitask is definitely a plus in the kitchen. Of course, I spent some of the morning scrubbing pots and pans and (with Carl) trying to figure out how to run the kitchen's automatic dishwasher. It is not your typical home dishwasher. Not only do you need to flip the power switch but there is something under the sink that gets turned on. We had to ask the dishwasher from Iggie's to come down and show us how to work the automatic dishwasher! Multitasking again!

At about 10am, I told Cliff I needed a break. I made myself an egg sandwich, got a cup of coffee and sat down for a little while. I actually did feel better by the end of the day, having eaten something while at work. I can't believe I actually have to MAKE myself eat, lol. As you all know, that has never been an issue with me! I still am tired at the end of 8 hours on my feet all day on concrete floors, but at least I wasn't exhausticated!

I showered, then was walking to go sit on the beach, when I saw very few empty chairs and a bunch of noisy kids running around. Back to the pool area I went and found a nice quiet corner that was part shade and part sunshine. The temperature only got up to 79 today but the difference between 78-79 and 80-81 degrees here is amazing! The 70's feel so much cooler for some reason. I spend a couple hours reading at the pool, soaking up the rays, then came back to my room to change.

I stopped in the gift shop to see Laura. The two of us are going to Mafolie tomorrow for dinner. They also apparently have a spectacular view of the city, the food apparently is sometimes on sometimes off. It is Laura's favorite restaurant so I am glad to be going with her.

I had dinner at Iggie's tonight. Steak Caesar Salad. I sat at the bar and met up with Matt, the other intern here. Apparently while camping on St John with "Big Matt", the boys went out to the bar for drinks and ended up closing the bar. Matt was walking with a glass bottle in his hand, when he slipped on a rock and fell. The glass bottle broke in his hand and cut his left ring and little fingers. The tendon was severed in his little finger. He is in a brace and scheduled to have surgery on it Tuesday, here on St Thomas. The night it happened, they went back to the campsite, cleaned it up, went to bed and took the ferry back to St Thomas the next day where he took a nap, ate, THEN went to the ER at the hospital in Charlotte Amalie. Must be a guy thing!

I am trying to get a good night's sleep when I know I have to work the next morning. I start at 6:30am tomorrow setting up with Millie. Cliff comes in at 8am tomorrow and works til noon. Not sure why they are doing that to full time staff (actually I do know-they want to save money by having me work 8 hours because they don't have to pay me!) but that does not seem wise as I am due to leave in a week and the other staff will continuing working at the LG. Oh, well, you can never tell with management (having been one, some things are on a need to know basis and I guess we just don't need to know!).

It is slightly easier getting through the days as I know this is short term. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be working the LG days whether I want to or not, so I might as well accept this fact. And singing and humming help, crazy as that sounds. And interestingly enough, I think most of the people (islanders) think I am ok. If nothing else, my mama raised us to be polite kids, and I am that, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment