Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday, December 28, 2010


For some reason the drains at the Lobster Grille backed up last night and they had a crew working on them all night. I didn't hear anything but Jordan says he could hear them snaking the lines intermittently during the night. Poor guy didn't get much sleep! Me, I really didn't hear much after I fell asleep.

My second day on day shift! I saw Janee left them a note that Paul (one of the owners) was getting complaints about the buffet food and that they needed to remember to season things AND not deep fry the sausage cause it was drying out too much. So, the sausage got baked in the oven along with the bacon. I saw they added heavy cream and sour cream to the scrambled eggs for the buffet. Roy, one of the day line cooks, appears to season most of the food he cooks. I made sure I added a little salt and pepper to things but just did it, I did not ask if I should or could. Jordan said he had the corned beef hash with eggs ("the New Englander") and that if was "ok". It just goes to show that turning out good food takes persistence and being vigilant. I still take it kind of personally though. I didn't put the corned beef hash dish together, just watched. Me, I don't care for it, not to mention it comes out of a can. I still am amazed at all the pre-made items they use here. And maybe every restaurant does, I don't know. But I think if you really want to be good, you need to make more from scratch.

I am finally realizing that no one here expects much of me-a difficult concept after all my years as the eldest daughter and being a nurse. So if I want to bake (which I am discovering is what really makes me happy), I ask permission, but just do it. No one see,s to mind. Today I made Oatmeal Cranberry cookies and Chocolate chip cookies. I took a tray of cookies up to the front desk, but put out the rest of the cookies for staff lunch. They quickly disappeared, lol! I also put together the dough (enough for one loaf), of the artisan bread I make at home (I did not learn this at school). It turns out well every time, so we'll see what it does here. It sits for 12-18 hours making pretty much it's own flavor from the length of time it ferments in the bowl. I left it out until I left work today, then I put it in the reach in to slow down the fermentation process. I also added more yeast. It is so warm and humid here, I didn't want it to get out of hand! We'll see what it
does in the morning.

It's raining in paradise so is cloudy. Not sure what we'll do tonight. The Lobster Grille is open for business tonight, the first Tuesday it's been open in many months. We opted to go to Red Hook to check out XO Bistro, but it was closed! We walked around a bit then settled on Coco Blue, the sister restaurant to Bella Blue in Frenchtown. I was so impressed by their Polenta Fries that I took a picture!

I think I may make more cookies tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment