Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sunday, December 5, 2010

There are always flies in the kitchen and I hate that! Drew, however, told me it doesn't help to hate them-you have to make peace with them. Flies are always around but they seem to hang around more when the day shift is working. They do seem to clear out a bit later in the evening. And we are an outdoor kitchen. Ah, the tropics.......

Tonight it was just Janee and Ryan and myself in the kitchen with Judy working salads and desserts. I started off by making mango salsa-lots of chopping, lol. Then I was tasked with making French Onion soup. They have recipes for both these things, which makes my job a little easier, lol. I worked the appetizer station with Janee. We served 44 dinners tonight. Not too bad. Tomorrow night we will be busier because Iggie's will be closed for renovations. I think the most difficult for me is plating. There are about 9 squeeze bottles, each containing a different sauce. Then there are salsas, and other things that are matched to each appetizer. Sometimes it seems confusing! I know eventually I'll remember but just in time for the menu to change! Janee made spring rolls tonight with a peanut sauce to go with them. The other thing I made before dinner service started was bacon wrapped scallops-yum! People always seem to want lobster, so we make a lot of stuffed lobster (the lobster here is a spiny lobster, unlike lobster Americans are used to)-stuffed withma seafood stuffing. The other favoritemis steak, either filet or New York strip. No baked potatoes, either roasted or mashed and island rice. The vegetables change between asparagus, broccoli and green beans. You work with what you can get down here. I find it interesting that our mushrooms come from Watsonville, California. Other vegetables come from South American and the butter comes from New Zealand!

After work, I had a drink with Janee and Ryan. I always like to hear why people have ended up here in St Thomas. Janee vacationed here with her aunt and they both decided they wanted to live here. Janee left her husband and her kids to move here after she finishedncooking school. Ryan moved her because he wanted to getnaway from the cold New England area. He doesn't even think about going back! Janee and Ryan moved on to Iggie's after that and I went back to my room-I just can't drink that much!

The new schedule is out, I have Tuesday and Friday off this week. I work one day at Iggie's and two days orienting to banquets with Janee. Should prove interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment