Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday, December 9, 2010


It's cloudy again today, although the sun is peeking out occasionally. I woke up during the night to pouring rain. I hope it does clear up because we have three wedding parties here, one of whom is getting married here today. Apparently Bolongo is, if not the only, then one of the few resorts right on the beach. You can get married on the beach, under their special wooden trellis (arch). How romantic is that? Lol

I went in at 12 noon but Janee was at a meeting. She left me instructions to make a mixed salad (l3 heads of lettuce, 1 shredded carrot, one red onion, three tomatoes, one cucumber) and pineapple salsa (one pineapple, one red pepper, one green pepper, one red onion, 2 Tbsp cilantro and honey, salt and pepper and lime juice to taste). After that, I marinated some mahi pieces in oil and blackened fish spices from Paul Prudhomme. Then we put grill marks on it and places it in a pan, then put the pineapple salsa over that and then we finished it in the oven. Janee said for this type of buffet, where food needs to be made ahead of time, you can get the "grilled" taste without cooking it through, then it doesn't dry out in the oven or warmer when it gets reheated. The bridal dinner was Mixed green salad with two choices of dressing (Ranch dressing that is store bought and vinaigrette, which we make up ourselves), marinated flank steak, mahi mahi with pineapple salsa, cheddar cheese mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus and for dessert: Mango Mamma Cheesecake and Key Lime Pie. I put grill marks on the flank steak, "shingled" them in a hotel pan, then surrounded by caramelized onions (flavored with sugar and balsamic vinegar). I trimmed and partially roasted asparagus, so those would not be over done, then mashed the red potatoes ( a very large pot) Janee had put on the stover earlier to boil. One pound of butter, salt and white pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/3 quart of heavy cream. Wow! They were good, though, lol. Then we got a little breather and while Janee went over to Iggie's to make sure the table and been set up properly, I made more mashed potatoes to use for serving in the restaurant tonight. At 5pm, we loaded up the golf cart they use for transport, and rode down to Iggie's. They were taking pictures of the wedding party. The bride was from North Dakota, her husband was in the military. Everyone was barefoot, lol. There were a pile of shoes next to the walkway for the bridal trellis/arch. Cute!

We stored the food, then Janee went to make a phone call. Today her (second) divorce was finalized. She was very happy when she came back. While Janee was gone, she had me help Jennifer in the kitchen at Iggie's. Someone had called in sick. His 80+ mother had driven her brand new car onto the roof of her house and broke a few bones. She had to have surgery today. Hens the only child (out of 8) still living on the island. The woman must have stepped on the wrong pedal! I guess Thursdays are pretty slow at Iggie's so there was not much to do. I made Conch fritters by myself (not to worry, I couldn't have messed up too much, they come already mixed in a plastic bucket, all you have to do is scoop them out. Not too much or they remain mushy inside.). I made some fries, nachos x 2 (just put some chips on a small platter, scoop hot cheese sauce on them, sprinkle with chopped parsley and slice black olives and voila! They are done). I also helped plate cheeseburgers and french dips before Janee returned. After we got the buffet set up, Janee let me off. The Lobster Grille is not very busy tonight so there was not much else to do. I met the purchasing manager, who says I am spending Monday with him. I also met Katarina, who is Richard's wife (one of the owners).

When I worked in the ER as a nurse and food service people would come in (with cuts or burns usually), there was always a smell to them, a little like raw onions but more than just onions. I discovered early on, that I now have that same smell when I get off work. It gets on your skin, your clothes and your hair. So I always shower after work. The guest WiFi is down, somI can't add the pictures of St John or of the wedding site like I wanted to, so I guess you'll all have to check back later!

I haven't made up my mind about dinner yet-whether to eat or where to eat, so am working on my blog instead. I still think working at the Lobster Grille is better but Iggie's seems to have their routine down to a science, so food turns around fast there.

I'm off tomorrow. No real plans, it's still suppose to be cloudy with possible rain, so maybe I'll just read and spend the day on R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment