Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Another quiet morning. I was expecting housekeeping today but the front desk said Fridays they come in. It was cloudy most of the morning, but cleared up by noon and the sun came out. I am still slowly working on a tan, don't want a sunburn. I signed up for the Sunset Cruise on the Bolongo Bay boat, Heavenly Daze. You board at 4:15pm and get back around 7pm. We'll see what they have to offer!

I heard Miss Viola (who told me she has worked at Bolongo Bay for 38 years and she loves Jesus) say the Grille was not open tonight, but as I am scheduled for work tonight (and off Saturday, not Sunday-they write their schedules out a little different) so I hope we ARE open, lol. The day crew (waitresses and cooks) are not quite as friendly as the swing shift, but at least they aren't asking me to

Most of the employees still think the Lobster Grille is closed on Thursdays, but I knew I was scheduled to work, so showed up at 2 pm anyway. Sure 'nuf we were open! My first assignment was to make a soup as a special. I could make anything I wanted, which again, sometimes is overwhelming faced with all those ingredients! But I went with mushroom soup (sometimes you have to use up either what is starting to go bad or that you have too much of, but we had just gotten new supplies so anything and everything was up for grabs. I made mirepouix, sauted it in butter and olive oil, then heated up chicken stock. I then sauted slice mushrooms in butter and added everything into the stock as well as a small amount of roux, thyme, a bay leaf, salt and pepper and left it to simmer. Once it was done, I purred it and stained it. Knead going to add some cream but everyone thought it tasted good on it's own, so I left it alone. It will actually be served tomorrow night. Then I got food ready for the day cruise tomorrow on Heavenly Daze. I sliced roast beef and turkey breast on the slicer, made tuna salad (no specific recipe, just make it however I want), baked pre-made chocolate chip cookies (who would have though they didn't make them from scratch!) and plated pre-made potato salad (after putting some lettuce down on the plate to make it more decorative). Savory food on (colorful) plastic platters, cookies on silver trays. I'll get this down eventually. After doing all this, Janee sent me home because there was not much else to do and we had lots of help in the kitchen. I ate dinner at the bar (after taking a quick shower and changing into street clothes), salmon en croute, mashed potatoes and string beans and a glass of Chardonnay. I am slowly working my way
through the menu, lol. Then off to relax--this is definitely a place to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment