Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I was up at 7:30 this morning but certainly not awake! It's hard to work til 10pm and then go home and go to bed. After a few cups of coffee and a good breakfast, I was off to Iggie's for the day. I worked with Mary. She is an islander, although originally from Dominica. She has such a strong accent and talks so fast, I often have to ask her to repeat herself. I made coleslaw again (6 heads of cabbage this time), cleaned chicken hindquarters of the extra fat but then also cut off the extra skin and separated the legs from the thighs (Mary showed me one way, then Eric the new kitchen manager/chef showed me another way, then Mary came back and was upset I wasn't doing it HER way. I finally had to tell her I couldn't do it her way-two whacks and she has the parts separated-that did not work for me!). I chopped a few other things then started working the line with her. We were busy for a couple of hours so time passed quickly. At the end of the day Mary told me I was a fast learner! Will wonders never cease! She also told me it was very nice working with me. I was suppose to work at Iggie's til 4 but the day shift from the Lobster Grille called and asked Eric to send me down there to help cook lobsters. When I walked oitside, it was cloudy and looked like rain, so maybe this was a good day to work. Apparently we got a shipment of fresh lobster and they must be cooked while they are still alive. The staff had not been able to finish cooking the lobsters, so I got to stay and finish. I've never had to plung those bug like creatures to their death! And let me tell you, most of them do NOT want to be boiled in anything, lol. When you pick them up either from their big "antenna" of by grabbing their back, their tails flap back and forth like little clickers. Can't say as I blame them! I finished about 5:30pm, then showered and went to have a drink with Harry, the bartender. Gotta watch Harry, he makes really strong drinks!

I walked down to Iggie's for dinner. Skipped the "all you can eat crab" and had a cheese quesadea. I've discovered there are things I won't eat at Iggie's-like their fish and chips, after working in the kitchen. There are many chefs who don't like eating out, saying they can make better food themselves. I wonder if they are ever concerned with how things are made? And THAT'S why they eat at home, lol. Who knows? I ran into Jesse, Ryan and Janee coming back from a day on a power boat with Pogan (whose also a bartender here at Bolongo-it's a small island, lol). They said it was cold but they had a good time anyway. I stayed for a bit to talk with them, or rather listen to Jesse who could talk your ear off! Since I need to go to bed at a reasonable time, I didn't stay late. I am back at Iggie's tomorrow. We'll see what adventures await!

No comments:

Post a Comment