Saturday, December 18, 2010

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Since it was such a pretty day, I spent some time lying out by the pool. Jordan sent some of the books I bought while in school but I didn't get a chance to read so until they get here, I am doing online searches for cooking related articles/courses. Interesting to see what's out there!

When I got to work today, I made another big vat of island rice, then made guacamole. I made up some mushroom ran goons after that. The secret to getting the won ton wrappers to stand up nicely, is the let the wrappers sit out (lay then out individually on the counter) for about ten minutes. Then you can place your filling, rub the endure with beaten eggs and pull the sides up (they remind me of the paper finger puzzles we made as kids!) and you're done! We freeze them at this point, deep frying them as we need them. I then, at the last minute, had to come up with the employee dinner. Jesse had already taken out chicken hindquarters and asked me to season and cook them (at 4:30pm when the dinner is suppose to be out by 5pm). I used salt and pepper, sage and granulated garlic and onions then baked them. They looked done on top, but the underside was still raw, so I had to flip them over and put them back in the oven. I served leftover island rice but added corn to it. Denise, the evening front of the house manager called me over and told me that Caribbean people like lots of spice on their chicken-she didn't think I had put anything on the chicken! Good one day, not so good the next day, I guess. The islanders certainly eat a lot of chicken! I spent the remainder of the evening at the appetizer station, this time working with Jesse. It does get easier with practice. We were pretty busy which always makes the time go more quickly. I've been getting out later the last two nights, finishing after 10pm, but I'd rather be busy than not. And working appetizers helps me work on my plating!

Tomorrow I am off. Still have not decided how I am going to spend my day, lol. Monday, I will be working pantry all by myself. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment