Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thursday, December 30, 2010


The phone in my room rang at 7:30 this morning. It was Lori from HR. Some one had called in sick at the Lobster Grille and she wanted to know if I would work for a few hours. What could I say but yes? I told her I was still in bed and she said that was ok cause I just have to walk out the door to work. If I had know I was going to work today, I would have gone to bed earlier (it was after 11pm when we went to bed) and I would NOT have had two rum punches on the boat nor would I have had two glasses of wine with dinner! Needless to say, it took a while to wake up.

I was at work by 8am, and found Millie and Carl working. Cliff had called in sick. They told me to fill in where needed. As Carl was working pantry, I helped Millie with the line cooking. It was busy but not crazy. They are still running their breakfast buffet. By the end of the morning, she told me I was perfect at breakfast (who'd have thought?) unlike some people she knew (Carl?). I don't know about that...

I left at 11am. Jordan and I sat by the pool for a while and we are now heading to downtown Charlotte Amalie. Deloris Parsons from Tortola was our taxi driver and drove the taxi that first took us to Red Hook then downtown. Apparently there was a shortage of available taxis at the time we went. So we hitched a ride with people going to Red Hook to catch a ferry, then turned around and went back to Charlotte Amalie. We dropped off my laundry since it was on the way to Red Hook. I'm sure the other passengers thought I was crazy to be dropping off my laundry, but it works for me!

We walked thru the downtown area once we arrived. I'm afraid Jordan was quite disillusioned by it all. It was store after store of jewelry, clothing (some designer) or souvenirs. We kept walking until we got to Frenchtown in the eastern part of Charlotte Amalie. They have a few supposedly good restaurants there so we went on a search of menus for all these places. We saw Epernay, Craig & Sally's (their menu changes nightly and they don't post it until 5:30pm at night), Hook, Line &Sinker, Bella Blue, and Oceana. We ended up having a drink at Oceana. I've added a picture of our view from Oceana. I took some pictures which I will post soon. Sme important person's yacht was sitting off shore-it was huge! Then we walked back to Epernay for dinner. On our first trip, we met Asia, whose boyfriend is the owner. She's from Las Vegas. I don't know why, but we hit it off and she introduced me to Michael the owner, his business partner, their architect (who lives in New York) and the chef, Jake. We spent quite a bit of time talking. You never know when networking might come in handy! We had Goat Cheese Croquettes served on a bed of tomatoes all sitting in an endive leaf, garlic spinach and meatloaf with mashed potatoes ( I know, comfort food, but it just sounded good to me!). We took a cab back to Bolongo and had eggnog at the bar. We are getting up early to go the the BVI (British Virgin Islands) at 6:45 am tomorrow. It is an all day tour-should be fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment