Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Monday, December 27, 2010


My first day shift on the Lobster Grille! It's not as easy getting up early as I used to working as a nurse, lol. BUT, I can get up at 6:15am and roll out the door (and walk the 20-30 feet to the Grille kitchen) in half an hour. I have a uniform, so don't worry about what I'll wear! I did a little prep-put unpeeled potatoes on to boil and chopped some onions, but jumped right to cooking on the line (I usually only get to do that at Iggie's). First set up for breakfast-they crack about four dozen eggs for the day, for use in scrambled eggs, omelets and the breakfast burrito (the Bolongorito). They make a huge vat of pancake mix about ever other day. They bake their bacon in the oven, about 3-4 pounds a day. Then I watched them deep fry their breakfast potatoes, the onions that go in the potatoes, and their sausage patties! Unfortunately the sausage dries out and tastes terrible! I must confess here that when I asked Jordan how breakfast was, he told me it was the worst meal he's ever eaten-which says a lot, because he rarely complains about food! He said none of the food had any taste and the sausage was very dry. He likes sausage so was very disappointed. The restaurant runs a buffet when they are full or close to it, to make it easiernon the kitchen staff and waiters. I must also confess that I passed this to Janee mainly because I feel this is a reflection on me, even though I didn't have anything to do with the buffet food, it was done by the time I came in. She said she'd take care of it. At 10:30am, we put all the breakfast things away. Lunch starts at 11:30am so once that's ready, everyone takes a break.

Lunch is hamburgers, hotdogs, fish sandwiches, french dip sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, chicken tenders, French fries, deli-type sandwiches, salads, and probably a few things I don't remember. I didn't see them season anything today (!). In that regard, I think Iggie's does a better job at cooking these types of foods. At 2pm, when there was nothing else to do, I asked to leave. I guess I have a hard time sitting around doing nothing at work. I need to put a more positive spin on this somehow. I used Jordan as an excuse to leave when I wasmtold there was nothing else to do.

I went back to my room and showered, then Jordan and I walked down to Iggie's where I had hummus and chicken satay. They didn't realize I was the intern so were going to charge me, so I had to talk to the bartender because there wasn't a supervisor to talk to. When that proved to be unhelpful, the waitress told me she would just wait for a manager and let them deal with it. Nice! Dinner we ate in the room cause the Lobster Grille was busy. I am being eaten alive again by bugs! Ugh! More bug spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment