Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday, December 13, 2010


I was up early this morning so I could go work at Bolongo's private warehouse. It is on property so I can walk there. I was expecting to spend the day with Gene, the purchasing manager, but spent the day with Luz, his assistant, and Bolo, the "warehouse guy". They were both really nice although by lunch time, Luz couldn't resist asking me, "Aren't you a little OLD to be an intern?". I explained about changing careers, but I don't think they understand leaving a good paying job or just wanting to follow your dream. They expected a young insecure person they could "scare". They got me instead, lol. I don't scare or intimidate easily! When I told Janee about it later in the day, she admitted someone had asked her if I was her mother. Oh, my, I don't think I look THAT old, but maybe I'm wrong, lol!

I started off working with Bolo, filling orders orders from the Lobster Grille, Iggie's and the gift shop (what purchasing calls retail). There were dry goods, refrigerated goods and frozen goods. They made me take a jacket with me to work in refrigeration-it gets cold in there! The reason they chose Monday is because they get the majority of their deliveries on Mondays (and Wednesdays). We received food of every variety and also received a large alcohol shipment. I can't believe what they have. Apparently hard liquor is cheaper than wine, as hard liquor is their majority inventory. Bolo then delivers the restaurant orders up to twice a day (food in one load, liquor in another delivery. Lug showed me how she enters all the orders so she could then do costing. She has an Excel spread sheet that will automatically figure the cost of all their inventory. She first enters each restaurant's order,then inputs it into another spread sheet that shows everyone's individual spending/orders, then what it costs the entire resort to run their business. It was interesting seeing their numbers. They spend a lot of money! Janee had shown me yesterday, her menu costing. Her food costs runs about 14-30%. Not too bad. Janee also reviewed the cost of each dish vs what the resort charges for each meal. Luz and Bolo finished work at 4pm, so I was free to go. I have the evening to myself.

I also met the new Iggie's kitchen manager (looks like a chef-white jacket and black and white chef pants). I guess I'll be working with him tomorrow when I'm down at Iggie's working from 12-8pm. All you can eat crab night at Iggie's!

No comments:

Post a Comment