Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday, December 6, 2010

Another day in paradise.... Janee took me to the laundromat today (excitement everywhere) so I could get my laundry done. Apparently it is cheaper to have someone else do your laundry. Since there is no laundry facilities on property at Bolongo Bay, that works for me!

Iggie's is closed today for renovations, so the Lobster Grille was busier than usual for this time of year. I made Island Rice again after getting to work at 2pm, then thawed shrimp and mahi. I was also tasked with coming up with the employee dinner. Think, think... The islanders love chicken wings, so I thawed some out, made my own BBQ sauce (I couldn't remember everything that's goes into BBQ sauce any more, so had to wing it-no pun intended, lol), and roasted them in the oven. I served them with french fries. They seemed to go over well! Then they put me in charge of appetizers for the Managers Cocktail party. Janee and Ryan had already decided to serve spring rolls again, so all I had to do was deep-fry them, cut them at an angle, platter them with two sauces (already made) and send them off. I guess Ryan didn't think I was working fast enough, because he told me to cut three rolls at a time, on the diagonal, throw them on the plate cause people were going to scarf them down so it wasn't worth making them look pretty. Ah, well, speed should come with experience. Ar 25 years old, he has cooked in a commercial kitchen for at least ten years. He really is good at what he does. The rest of the evening, I worked the pantry with Judy. I made salads, lobster cocktails and served up desserts-Chocolate Banana Cake, Key Lime Pie, Mango Cheesecake and "Hot Chocolate"-a baked chocolate souffle type of dessert. That is the only dessert I have't tried. In between orders, I pulled the strings off of sugar snap peas. Judy couldn't believe how quick I was. Finally!! Something I'm quick at, lol. I didn't get outnof there until after 10pm. They have me clocking in and out, I guess to make sure I really am working the hours they are giving me room and board for, lol.

We are all off tomorrow as the Lobster Grille is closed on Tuesdays at least for the next two weeks. I need to get out more, I'm getting a little claustrophobic staying on property so much, so tomorrow I am taking a tour of St John, one of the other USVIs. They pick me up at 8am and drop me back at Bolongo at 5pm. I am looking forward to getting out and about! Wednesday Janee and I are going to do a little island sightseeing and maybe go to K-Mart so I can check it out, and to help me pick up my laundry. Hey, you have to get your excitement where you can!

My legs look like I have the chickenpox! They have red bug bites all over, from the knees down. I counted 50 on one leg alone the other day! Yikes!! Benadryl and aloe have helped but I'll have to protect myself more. I finally unpacked because they haven't talked about moving me yet. It's midnight, so time for bed if I am going to get up at 7am to take my tour. Night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment