Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thursday, December 23, 2010


I was feeling a little better this morning, although I only had toast for breakfast as I wasn't sure how my stomach would react. After a few texts, Janee lent me her car again so I could pick up my laundry and drop hers off at the same time. Otherwise, the morning was quiet. I got a call from Jackie Engel at Cook Street School, my Alma mater. She was checking on me to see how I was doing.

Janee was off, so it was Ryan, Drew, Willie and myself. Ryan started panicking because besides the regular menu, we offered a pre-fix holiday menu at the Lobster Grille. In all fairness to Ryan, Paul, one of the owners, had added a few things to the menu without discussing them with the kitchen staff. We had most of the items, but no one likes surprises like that! Everyone thought we were going to be very busy and we were, but not crazy busy. I made stuffing, turkey gravy, Bourbon glazed sweet potatoes (no recipe for me to follow, just "make some bourbon glazed sweet potatoes"! I looked online and adapted a Food Network recipe.). Ryan had already put the turkeys in to roast before I got there. Once all the prep was done, there was really nothing for me to do. It was kind of a discouraging day. Ryan basically just wanted me to stay out of the way while he and Drew worked the line. I do understand his thinking but it's moments like this that make me wonder why I'm here. Since I wasn't feeling all that great anyway, I asked to leave early.

I did get a package from Jordan today and a Christmas card from my friends Kasia and Gary. Always nice to get mail! It still doesn't feel like Christmas and given the setting, it likely won't. It's hard to complain about the setting though!

No comments:

Post a Comment