Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I was up early so I could get my (routine) lab work done and not starve myself all day. I met Jan Loverin at Nevada State Bank, where we opened up a joint account to be used for "special events", like out farm to table dinner. I guess now that we bought ad time and opened a bank account to keep track of our spending and (hopefully) profits, this is really going to happen!

It seems I did busy office work in the morning and by afternoon, was ready to bake. I am making food for Andy Carey's going away party tomorrow but had not really decided on dessert(s). I did try out the breakfast cookie recipe I found. It turned out soft, had a nice texture, tasted good and wasn't too sweet. I'll see if I can drop some off for Lynne at the airport and see what she thinks. I did try wrapping them in various bags. The bags worked out well, but the glossy card stock ended up stained once again by the oils in the cookies. Bummer! Guess I'll have to find something else to use...

I also tried a new (to me) product called "Bestlife", which is suppose to take the place of butter and margarine. It was either endorsed by or developed by Bob Green (Oprah's original trainer). You use it the same way you use butter. I made milk chocolate toffee cookies. The dough did not taste as good as dough made with butter but the actual cookie tasted ok. I'll pass some around and see what people think. "best life" is suppose to have all good for you ingredients. And it's inexpensive as compared to butter or margarine. Huh.

I also baked a Tres Leche Cake and made a Key Lime Tart and on the savory side, made a white bean dip. Not sure if I'll do another dessert. I need to shop in the morning and start prepping. Jordan leaves tomorrow for Escondido to see his sister off as she leaves for Baku on Monday, August 1. She's very brave to live abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment