Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Since I really didn't do much Saturday, I decided to combine Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday was sunny and warm. I had the day off, but as my foot is still bothering me, I decided it was a good idea to do some R&R. I read in the morning but also spent a lot of time arranging a ticket to St Maarten for next weekend. Can you believe it is harder to go island to island and is costing me more than my ticket back to LA from St Thomas? Amazing! In the afternoon, I sat out by the pool for a while. There were quite a few people both in and around the pool area. As I sat there reading, an older woman came over to put the sandals on she had left there. She lost her balance and stumbled into the small table by my lounge chair and knocked over my diet coke onto me and into my beach bag. What a mess! Oh, well....it was an accident. I had an early dinner of stuffed pork tenderloin (one of my favorite dishes they make here), mashed potatoes and green beans. I talked with Jordan, then went to bed.

Sunday, I slept til 10am! Couldn't believe it. I guess I was tired! I thought I'd go sailing today but ran out of time-they were training a new guy, so the Hobie Cat was unavailable. I went to work at Iggie's at 4pm. I didn't realize it was the NFL game between Green Bay and Chicago. The place was packed! I worked Pantry, David, Erin and Gabriel worked the line and we had Pat as a dishwasher. All but Gabriel are islanders. Gabriel moved here from Brazil with his parents when he was ten. He did spend some time in Southern California, then moved here. He seems to come and go from St Thomas, but usually works for his dad, who owns a painting business here. Pat, the dishwasher asked me at some point, where I was from. Apparently he has noticed that I am neat and try to keep my area clean and wash my hands a lot. I told him most of that comes from being a nurse. He looked quite serious as he walked away, lol. We were busy til about 8:30pm. I had a few problems with my desserts. Iggie's staff keep the mango cheesecake and key lime pie in the freezer. You have to put them in the microwave (or as they say, consult Chef Mick) to thaw them. Two people sent them back because they were still frozen! I had to redo them. I talked with Jeff about it and he told me to keep them in my reach in instead of the freezer. Kind of crazy that people here have their own way of doing things at they think are correct. Jeff is the fourth kitchen manager in one year, so we'll see if ne can last longer than the previous managers. A case of the in-mates running the assylum, lol. I got off at 10pm, showered, then shared a drink at the bar with Ryan, Drew and Jesse. They were all wound up! I came back to my room, called Jordan, then turned on the TV for a while. The movie Mama Mia is on-the one with Meryl Streep. It makes me want to sing and dance with them! They look like they had such fun making this movie. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment