Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday, January 14, 2011



I had today off. Slept in til 9am, then had breakfast at the Lobster Grille. I was sitting, eating, when Lori, our Romance Director, came hurrying thru the restaurant asking if anyone knew how to tie a necktie. Only staff was there at the time. I told her I knew how (thanks to my friend, Michael) so she said, "Hurry! Come with me!" She took me into the conference center where a groom was standing with a tie around his neck. He had no idea how to tie a tie, so I did it for him, then explained how to loosen it and get it off when the time came. He was very grateful and nervous, but everyone told him how good he looked. I went back to breakfast and sat reading for a while, drinking coffee.

I decided to spend a good part of the day at the beach. so changed into a swim suit and headed for the beach. It was sunny and warm today. I took a picture over my knees at what I was looking at while sitting on the beach in my beach chair, under my little palm leaf umbrealla! Listening to the surf against the sand is very relaxing.... I did some reading, but mostly sat and looked out. I took a short break to get a late lunch at Iggie's (I tried another combination in order to get chili fries-not sure why I have been craving them, lol, but there was too much chili, so I guess if I really want chili fries, it's back to plan A) I took a picture of the pirate that stands outside Iggie's, a leftover from a buy out a few years back. The company that "bought" Iggie's had a shipwreck built as well as these statues. Bolongo Resort bought some of the props after the party and this was one of them. Isn't he cute? I spent some time talking to Elizabeth, one of the waitresses at Iggie's. Nice, nice girl. She is originally from Sonoma County, CA. She moved down to Orange County, CA where she met her husband. When the economy tanked, they decided to move to St Thomas and work. She's not sure they will stay here, but they seem open to either being here or moving where ever there is work. Her husband tends bar at Mimi's Cafe up the beach from Bolongo. It's interesting to talk to people and see what brought them to St Thomas.

I headed back to my room about 3:30pm and decided I wanted to make cookies. I asked Ryan first and he was ok with it. I made chocolate chip with walnuts. I took some to the front desk, some down to Iggie's and left the rest at the Lobster Grille. They were hot out of the oven when I passed them out. It's nice to see the smiles on people's faces when I ask if they want a fresh baked cookie!

I headed back to my room again, showered, then went back to the Lobster Grille for a glass of wine, a Wedge salad and tried their new "Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake Filled with Caramel Sauce"-the special for tonight. It wasn't bad, but still breaks my heart that they don't make their own desserts. Oh, well, not my decision to make. I spent some time talking to Lisa, the new General Manager of the Lobster Grille. I enjoy talking to her. We think a lot alike. She told me that managers at Bolongo have to work six days a week! Yikes! Not much downtime.

I am off to bed early, I have to work at Iggie's tomorrow 9am to 4pm. Will make sure I get a good breakfast as I probably won't get much of a break during the day. I am wondering what I will do since I'm not suppose to prep food for more than a day or so and nothing that goes in the freezer! Always an adventure to see what the staff thinks of the new rules, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment