Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday, January 21, 2011


I was all set to go down to Havensight (ok, so it is a tourist trap and all the cruise ships come in there and it can be crazy busy, but I thought I would take a look around anyway.), but I woke up with a sore foot and so decided to take it easy. The only thing I remember doing to it, was catching it on the edge of the door on Wednesday, when I was helping Pogan move stuff from the kitchen to the conference room. It hurt last night after standing for 8 hours. It's red and a little swollen still. Any of the sandals I wear, rub on the side of my foot where it hurts.

Since I have only til the end of February here, I started a "bucket list" of things I'd like to do while I am still here. One of the things on my list is trying out the Jet Skis. I went and talked with Matt, the guy that owns 340 Water Sports. They rent space on the Bolongo Beach and will let you either go out by yourself (you have to stay in the Bay where they can see you) or they will take you on a tour, of which they offer several. I chose the "Adventure Tour" that's an hour and a half long. You go out of the bay, head east, then jet over to a private island (I guess the man paid $25,000,000 for it, built a huge house and imported lots of palm trees from Hawaii). You turn around and head west for a "drive thru" of the Charlotte Amalie harbor, then jet back. We started out slowly, Richard, my tour guild and Jet Ski expert, told me we could go as fast or slow as Imwanted to go. The Jet Ski is a Yamaha Wave Runner, two seater. Right before Matt helped me get on the Jet Ski, I saw a little baby shark swimming around. Matt says there are three of them and that they used to stay clear of people but now they'll come right up to you! Makes me wonder, where's mama? Once we got out in the open sea, I was glad the Jet Ski was heavy and large. Richard told me to follow him, and if he made a wide birth around an area, that meant there were rocks there. So I followed him the whole time, trying to determine at various times if it was better to follow in his wake or ride to one side of him. It was a little cloudy and windy, making the water a little rough-2 foot swells, with the rogue wave occasionally in between. They had told me it was better to go a little faster, to keep the nose of the Jet Ski out of the water. I found this to be true, after getting soaked numerous times! It took me a little time to find some sort of rhythm for giving the Jet Ski gas and knowing when to back off. There were several times I was airborne after a big wave, then WHAP, the Jet ski lands back in the water at the bottom of the wave! It was rougher going east, when we were going toward the private island, then going west, where you are going with the waves (who'd have thought you'd have some kind of "nap" in the ocean?). The ride is smoother. A couple of times I scared myself by going too fast, but eventually I got the hang of it. Richard told me when we got back, that now I was an expert Jet Skier. Not likely! There were times it reminded me of bull riding, not that I've ever done that, but you definitely have to hang on tight! I did have fun and that was the point.

After I got back, showered off the salt water of the Caribbean Sea, and had some lunch, I borrowed Janee's car and took my laundry to the laundromat. There is a small convenience store next to the laundromat (it's no Seven Elevan) so I stopped in to see what they had. I bought a big container of Quaker Oatmeal that cost me $6.90!! I don't remember it being that expensive last time I bought it stateside. Then it was back to my room to put my foot up. Not sure what I'll do for dinner tonight.

I never did take the nap I was going to take (being out on the water wears you out!). I got hungry at 5pm so walked, or limped down to Iggie's and ordered some chicken tenders and fries (not very nutricious but didn't really want anything else). I stayed for a bit and listened to the band that is going to be down there tonight. Apparently they are from Nashville (rock and roll, not country!). They are quite good, but alas, not enough for me to stay and brave the crowd that will show up tonight. I came back, ate, talked to my sister, Janell, then watched a little TV. A not so exciting end to an adventurous day, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment