Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Behind again! I thought yesterday might be a quieter day, but I spent time on the computer making sure I'd have everything ready for today. And dispute making a double batch of cookies, I was only able to fill four boxes. Only 26 more to go, lol! Ah Choo is definitely feeling neglected. As I write this, he has his head propped on my leg and is turned toward me so I can rub his tummy. Very cute. Now if I could only get a picture, lol. I made my dessert for tonight last night. The Pear and Honey Custard Tart. I was up til midnight trying to get it done!

This morning, I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned, chatted with the office girls (I need to schmooze with lots of people!), then went to Nothing To It (NTI) at 10:15am. The hygienist, Kim, is quite nice. I was a little stressed having to pack up the car for NTI before I went to the dentist, hoping I didn't forget anything! But as Jay reminded me, catering is a list-oriented profession. I think he's right. I have GOT to get more organized! It will come, though, it will come.

I prepped my beef for marinade, so they would marinate overnight. I had found 2 gallon-sized Baggie's but they seemed flimsy, so Jay ( the owner of NTI) gave me some gallon sized freezer bags I could put the meat and the marinade in a disposable bag. (Note to self: buy freezer bags and a roll of paper towels and some disinfecting wipes.). There really wasn't time for anything else before the lunch rush. I met a woman there, Linda, who helps Jay with catering and waitresses at lunch and does the baking for the deli. She and her husband live in Truckee. They used to own a BBQ business (which is where they met Jay and Lara), but all the health Dept fees help drive them outnof business. Nnowmshe wantsmto be a personal chef!! She would work the Truckee/Tahoe area. Interesting. As a personal chef, you have fewer restrictions on you because you work in your client's home. She seems very nice. Even gave me a few pointers!

I left NTI, and came back home to do a little prep and check my recipes and supplies. I couldn't go back to NTI after the lunch rush. At 2:30pm, I headed out the door. After arriving at NTI, I put a large pot of waternon to boil so I could make the Orzo for tomorrow. Then I started my rice for the partnership meeting, then browned my pork roast on one of the stove tops and put it in the oven to roast ( with a little salt and pepper). I have a new Fagor 3 in 1 machine that is a rice maker, a pressure cooker and a crock pot. You can also brown in it. It is
SO cool! I will definitely use this a lot! My roast took longer to cook than I thought it would but I have to be careful to get the internal temperature upmto 140 degrees F with pork. Gotta be safe! Once that was done, it was on to the Cranberry-Port Sauce made in the same pan I roasted the pork in. And while doing all this, make sure I clean and wash my own dishes! I forgot my recipes in the afternoon because I had taken them out for review but I remembered most of it so everything turned out ok.

I did manage to get out by 5:30pm, but I had to go home and get my chaffing dish, the salad and the dessert. I JUST made it to SCOR on
time! Anne had a table already set up so it worked out well. I saw Dr. West and Dr Dan Sorensen, the doctor who took over from Sammy Zamzam as medical director. I got hugs from everyone. I set up and left. I went home and did more prep work for tomorrow morning.

Anne called me after the board meeting and told me everyone LOVED the meal, especially Dr Lynch, who wants to hire me as a personal chef! Yeah! The board also voted to have me do all their dinners, lol. And my other client likes his meals also, so everything this week has been successful! Hallelujah!

I am excited but tired, so off to bed for me. I need to get going early tomorrow so I can get everything done. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment