Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!!


Went to bed last night and forgot to write, so am making a late entry.

Finally a sunnny day, after three cloudy days (you get used to the weather being nice when you stay in paradise for any length of time, lol). Off to the beach this morning. It is so peaceful sitting there. Saw a few surfers there also. Fascinating to watch them try to get ahead of a wave so they can "ride" it to the end (or until they fall over, whichever comes first). Obviously some are better than others, but they all take a beating from the crashing waves. No whale sightings that I could tell. I took some pictures about half way back to the condo, one looking down, the other picture looking up at the stairs yet to climb. We walk down to the beach, which isn't so bad. It's the coming back that's work!



Since there was no calamari to be found here on Maui, I used langostinos for my "Calamari" Tomato Caper Salad at lunch. Very classic Italian dish, served mainly at the Holidays. The tomatoes are chopped then sauteed with garlic in olive oil. After a few minutes, throw in the calamari (or in my case the langostinos, or little lobster tails from Chile). Sautee a minute or two then pour the ingredients into a colander to get rid of the excess juice from the tomatoes. Put the salad in a bowl, toss with a lemon-caper vinaigrette and serve. I plated it with slices of the Maui star fruit we had from the Juns. Pretty good!


In the afternoon I was entirely unmotivated to do much of anything, so took a nap.

I started dinner a little early as I was making Beef Bourguignon (just imagine a good French accent pronouncing this, lol). It takes 2-3 hours depending on your meat choice and should be done mainly in the oven in a Dutch oven, but there are no pans here that will go in the oven (all the pots and pans have plastic handles), so I did it on top of the stove, which is totally doable. The recipe is from Laura Calder on the Cooking Channel. She is a Canadian who left her corporate job to go to France. There she went to cooking school and worked in French restaurants, then went back to Canada. So I feel a sort of kinship with her as I also left my job to go to cooking school (though I did not travel so far, lol). I'll post the recipe, it is easy and definitely worth making! And because it was Valentine's Day, I insisted we drink the 2007 Chateauneuf de Pape wine with dinner. Yum! We polished off the rest of the choux for Profiteroles for dessert. All gone! I'll need to come up with another dessert for tomorrow night.



Another beautiful sunset here.....


No comments:

Post a Comment