Friday, February 3, 2012

Thursday, February 2, 2012

One thing about "retirement" is that it can be somewhat predictable. Just kidding, lol. Can't retire yet. I couldn't ask for a more beautiful setting, however!

After a breakfast of coffee, toast and a granola bar, I did one CEU unit. After that, my reward was a trip to the pool. There are still trade winds and the day was partly cloudy, so it wasn't too hot sitting out. We discovered a new flower at the pool. It almost looks like a bird of paradise but it's not. The flowers here are absolutely gorgeous. They are still trimming trees, so it continues to be noisy during the day.



Lunch was a Ban Bagnat, a French sandwich. You take a baguette, cut it in half lengthwise and remove much of the bread inside. Rub the cut sides with a clove of garlic, also cut in half. Drizzle with olive oil. Mix tomato slices (in my case, I was using up our supply of cherry tomatoes, so cut those in half) with red wine vinegar and basil, salt and pepper and set aside for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors blend. Slice black olives-enough to make it a layer on the sandwich. Hard boil one egg per sandwich, then slice it. Layer the tomatoes, olives and egg on the baguette (I used a mini-baguette), wrap it, then let it sit so the juices soak into the bread. I served it with the leftover Crab and Corn Chowder to rave reviews. My friend snapped my picture but it took so long, I apparently stopped smiling, lol.



I read in the afternoon and took a nap (one of the benefits of being "retired", lol).

Dinner was Salad Nicoise ala Julia Child. Boiled potatoes (dressed with white wine vinegar and parsley), blanched green beans, hard boiled eggs topped with a round of anchovy, tomatoes and fresh seared tuna, all dressed with a Dijon-Lemon Viniagrette. A very nice meal, indeed! Dessert was diced strawberries over vanilla ice cream which was then drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction. Yum! There was a "Napolean" in a glass with orange mascarpone and blueberries (an extra one from the other night), which we could have had, but I had to admit I ate it this afternoon, lol. Just wanted something sweet, ;-). What can I say?


Another beautiful sunset.....I think you'll agree....


No comments:

Post a Comment