Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday, February 13, 2012

Can you believe it was still cloudy this morning?! With a little rain. Oh, well, most of the weather has been very nice while I've been here. BUT-that didn't stop those boys manicuring the lawns at 5am! I sure won't miss that when I leave.

I did two continuing education classes this morning. I am up to 11.5 CEU hours with only 18.5 to go for a total of 30. At least I have until the beginning of April to finish. With the weather still cloudy, we drove back to Safeway for puff pastry, since we were unable to find it at either Foodland or the Napili market. Usually when we drive down to Ka'anapali, it's sunny, even if it's cloudy in Kapalua (where the condo is). Today, it was cloudy every where! We did find the puff pastry, which I will use to make lunch later in the week.

After we got back to the condo, I made a Blueberry Crumb Cake (Ina Garten's recipe-the Barefoot Contessa). It's gonna be good! The streusel topping is to die for. It came out a little lopsided because the oven is not level. Everything you put in the oven tends to slide forward. Sometimes very frustrating! This experience has been a lesson in doing more with less or none at all as far as equipment and ammenities go. I don't think most people come to Hawaii to cook!



Lunch today was Tuscan White Bean Soup garnished with goat cheese and crispy bacon. Very nice. It's pureed and has a little cream added, which makes it very creamy. I went down to the upper pool (everything is down from where we are staying, lol) for sage, only to find there was no sage. I took a longer hike down to the lower pool, found the sage (but not before I ran into Sandra and Junie Jun and talked for a while). It took so long my friends were going to come looking for me! They had to take the shallots off the heat as they were starting to brown too much. I came back just in time to finish the soup and serve it up.


In the afternoon, I roasted chickpeas (seasoned with cayenne pepper and cumin). Not quite as crispy as potato chips but a great healthy snack. I was a little heavy handed with the cayenne so they definitely have a bit to them! I also made more chocolate sauce (to give to the Juns). Enough to fill a 16 oz jar, so they should be able to enjoy that for a while. I baked up the choux dough (for Profiteroles) I had frozen last week. Some for us and some for Sandra and John.

I talked with Jordan for a while, walked over to the Jun's condo to deliver a bag of goodies, then started dinner. We had Salmon with Wasabi Sauce and Braised Baby Bok Choy. The bok choy was braised in a mirin and soy sauce mixture. I don't have a lot of experience with mirin but OMG was that simple sauce wonderderful! I reduced it a bit once the bok choy was cooked and spooned it over the bok choy. Everyone was in agreement, it was a great meal! Profiteroles for dessert (complete with chocolate sauce) completed the evening.


With the skies clearing by the end of the day, we had another beautiful sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment