Saturday, February 18, 2012

Friday, February 17, 2012

I awoke to more lawn upkeep. I guess I had no idea how much upkeep a golf course can be! Six people arrived last night to stay in the condo next door. They seem very athletic and they play golf. And no kids!

After breakfast, one load of laundry and uploading more pictures to my blog, we walked to the beach. When we got there, there wer two surfers, but no one else. For almost the entire time we were there, there were very few people on the beach. Of course, it could have been the strong winds and the fact that with every gust of wind, we got sand- blasted! It wasn't all that bad, though, and I won't have many more opportunities to walk to the beach before it's time to return to the "real" world. We stayed at the beach for about an hour and a half, just talking and watching the waves crash onto the shore.

When we got back, it was time to make lunch. Chickpea Salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. It really is a great salad! It tastes fresh, it's good for you and a great source of fiber. I served Kalamata olives on the side and chocolate chip cookies for a little dessert afterwards.


After lunch I baked a Grape Gratin for our evening dessert. Interesting combination and one I've not made before. I have to say, it's great having clients who let you experiment and try new things and who have a discerning palate for good food. The filling on the Grape Gratin, had green grapes (of course), mixed with apricot jam, flour and one tablespoon of sugar. It was topped with a mixture of old-fashioned oats, flour, brown sugar, dried ginger, cinnamon, sliced almonds and butter. I crumbled the topping over the grape mixture and baked it for 20 minutes. It turned out pretty goo, but did not have any strong flavor. I also made an Orange Cream Cheese Coffeecake (a Paula Deen recipe). We finished off the Blueberry Crumb Cake this morning, so it was time to make something else, lol.



I talked with my sister, Janell. She's been sick the last few days so missed her job interview yesterday. Hope she can reschedule!

I also packed two boxes to take to FedEx after baking. I'm trying to "lighten my load" of stuff to take on the plane as I'll be traveling about 7,000 miles in a 36 hour time period. Whew! On Monday afternoon I fly from Maui to LAX, take the Red Eye to Chicago O'Hare and get in at 5:07am. I have a job interview at 9:30am. My sister, Corie, is going to pick me up and take me to my appointment. The plan is to have lunch together, then she'll drop me back off at O'Hare so I can catch a 5pm flight back to Reno. I'll get into Reno late, but at least I'll be home!

Dinner was Baked Rice Pilaf with Baked Salmon and Garlic Wilted Spinach. It turned out well. The salmon came out just right. Dessert was, of course, the Grape Gratin served with a little ice cream. Not bad, not bad. Don't know if I'd make the grape thing again or not.


I finally got to talk to Jordan for a long time. He made it back to Reno in one piece-that's good! We had another beautiful sunset tonight. It's suppose to rain on and off all weeekend-more of a chance on Sunday, so we'll go grocery shopping tomorrow morning. AND, we're going out to breakfast to a new restaurant. I love going out to breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment