Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday, February 18, 2012

I got up a little later than usual this morning, so had to hurry to get ready for the day We went out to breakfast, to the Westin in Ka'anapali. The restaurant is right on the beach. They serve either off the menu or a buffet. Very nice restaurant! And a great place to people watch, as so many people walk by on the trail that winds along the Ka'anapali beach coastline.


We mailed the boxes after breakfast, did a little grocery shopping and stopped by Walgreens. Then it was back to the Ridge. It was cloudy this morning, but one thing I have learned, is that often it comes and goes. So we went off to the pool this morning, and sure enough, we had sunshine. The wind, however, is another story. It has been extremely windy with gusts over 30 miles an hour. As my friend says, it makes the condo sound like a haunted house, lol. Whistling and rattling and howling, oh, my!


This photo was taken while I was looking out the kitchen window. The palm tree outside the window was blowing every which way!

Lunch was Curried Crab Bites, an old recipe I got from Jennifer Bushman years ago when she owned Nothing To It Culinary Center. It's one of my favorite appetizers (although I used it as lunch sandwich bites). I also made a small fruit parfait with blueberries, Greek yogurt and Clementine orange segments as a side/dessert to serve with it.



After lunch I looked in my Small Batch Baking cookbook and found a recipe for Fudgy Mocha Layer Cake. You mix up enough batter for two small cakes, then bake them in 14 oz cans that have been greased and floured (and cleaned!). They turned out SO cute! You cut your little cake in half horizontally, then fill and frost it. I made Mocha Frosting for it. I will serve them for dessert tonight at dinner. I also mixed up more Chickpea Salad and made a pot of French lentils both to serve tonight and as future dinners/lunch. I got the recipe from the book "Lunch in Paris". It was a good read but I also appreciate the recipes she included in the book-all things she learned to cook after moving to Paris when she married her French husband.

It's Harry Potter Weekend on the Family Channel so I watched part of "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". All the Hogwarts students look so young in this film compared to now!

For dinner, I made a first course of Lentils with sliced Seared Tuna. As a second course, I seared Moorish Spiced marinated steak and served it with Potatoes Anna and Vinaigrette marinated zucchini. Unfortunately, the second course looked all the same color! It was all tasty though, so that's good. Dessert was the Fudgy Mocha Cakes. So cute! Kind of like a tall cupcake.




The sunset was absolutely gorgeous tonight. One of the nicest we've seen since coming here. They said it was just for me, in honor of my leaving, lol (nice to have friends that say things like that!). So, of course, I had to take pictures.



Tomorrow there is a higher chance of rain, so guess we might be staying in tomorrow. Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment