Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another day in paradise.... As someone just told me, I am living the life of retirement and I guess that's true, at least for the moment.

After breakfast, I did some CEU study. Once that was done, we walked to the beach and stayed for about an hour, hour and a half. We saw more whales. This one looked like a baby-small in size, so an assumption on my part. It never gets boring watching them play and jump out of the water, only to make a big splash when they land. Kind of the equivalent to us doing a cannonball in the pool. There were surfers out riding the waves. Some are better than other and one in particular knew exactly the type of waves he was looking for.



On the way back to the condo we stopped by one of the pools so I could get some parsley for lunch. Lunch today was Flatbread with Bacon and Scallion Pesto. I baked some pizza dough by itself in the oven (drizzled with a little olive oil), cooked up some diced bacon, and then cooked some sliced onions in the bacon grease. The scallion pesto was made with green onions, parsley, lemon peel and lemon juice whooshed up in a food processor with olive oil added when the particles were finely chopped. Salt and pepper to taste and you are done. Once the pizza dough is baked, smear it with sour cream that you have added a little lemon zest to, scatter the bacon and onions, then dot the surface with the scallion pesto. I was not sure what to expect, but it turned out great. The pesto had a very strong taste, but paired with everything else, it was great! Another yum!


More continuing ed in the afternoon, a little Food Network, some reading and it was dinner time. Tonight we had Balsamic-marinated Pork Loin Cops, Baked Rice and Green Beans with Creme Fraiche. I had to walk back to the pool for more herbs-tarragon, rosemary and parsley. It is so cool to be able to pick the herbs as you need them and have them fresh when you use them! The pork had a Lemon-Honey Sauce (with rosemary) which turned out nicely. I have finally learned that the secret to a good sauce is a little skillful neglect on the cook's part. When a sauce needs to reduce, put it on the stove on a high heat and walk away. That's not to say you don't keep an eye on it, but it rarely needs stirring, it just takes time to reduce. For dessert I had put together a Napolean of sorts using some puff pastry disks I had baked the other day, layered with Mascarpone Cream and blueberries. That also turned out well. I like working with ingredients you already have and being able to put something good together. Thank you, Cook Street!


I talked with Jordan, showered and will read before bed. A very quiet day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment