Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday, January 27, 2012

It's the end of January! Already!! Time goes quickly, that's for sure.

Today was not really a work day....breakfast was coffee and a muffin. With the computer problems I have had, I had to redo my blog (my examiner article had to be done twice because my computer froze and I had to shut it down). we did walk down to John and Sandra's condo. We met them the last time I was here. They are a young married couple who have one little girl (we call her "the princess"). We took them some cookies and the rest of the "Crack Pie". Sandra says they want to have us over for dinner-nice, nice young couple.

I got my hair cut at the Ritz Carlton today. And when you take advantage of any spa services, you get all day access to all of the spa facilities. My haircut was at 12:30pm so I went over about 10:30am to see what they offered. I spent time in the jacuzzi and the steam room. They also have what they call the "relaxation room"--chaise lounges and chairs with blankets and soft music playing. There is lemony cucumber water, tea and candied nuts, as well as apples and oranges to eat. All very soothing.... I met a woman in the relaxation room who is a nurse practitioner married to a physician. They were at the Ritz for a medical conference. We had a very pleasant conversation about nursing and medicine and children (hers). At 12:30pm on the dot, Irma came and got me for my haircut. I have been going to the same hairdresser for years now, so it was time for a fresh pair of eyes to see what might be done with my hair. It was all very pleasant.

The afternoon seemed to go quickly (especially with a nap) and soon it was time to get ready for dinner at the Banyon Tree at the Ritz Carlton up the street.

We sat at Robert's station (remember, he's the French waiter, so it is pronounced "Rro-berr", accent on the last syllable). He is such a pleasant, friendly man and takes excellent care of everyone. We did the chef's tasting menu, which changes every month. There were also a few changes to their regular menu with the new year. Got to stay fresh and current to keep people engaged!

I had seared Foie Gras, a Seared Scallop with Egg Custard (that is actually served in an egg shell!) and a kale chip, Kobe Skirt Steak with an awesome dipping sauce served with Haricot Vert and for dessert- a financier (little almond cake) and POPCORN ice cream. I have GOT to find a recipe for popcorn ice cream, or, as my friend suggested, see if I can come back to the restaurant kitchen and ask them to teach me how to make it! It was absolutely divine!!

When I have the chance to eat so well, it's almost as if I died and went to heaven! It reminds me of that scene in Julie and Julia when Julia Child and her husband first arrive in Paris and go out to dinner. The food is so divine, Julia is speachless, she simply cannot find the words to describe the food and how wonderful it tastes to her. Her husband, Paul, says,"Yes, yes, I understand". I totally get that!!

The Ritz Carlton is built back from the ocean front. Apparently when they first started construction, years ago, they found an ancient burial grounds and so could not finish construction. The Ritz decided to just move the hotel back several hundred feet and started building again in a different location. The Banyon Tree looks out over the ocean. I'd forgotten that if you look out and watch the water long enough, you can see whales breaking the surface of the water. It's SO cool! And sure enough, there were whales tonight, just like e other morning at the beach. If nothing else, you can see them spout water when they surface, even if the whales don't come out of the water.

But tomorrow I begin to cook again, which for me, is not really work.

No comments:

Post a Comment