Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tuesday, January 3, 2011

Other than lunch with my sister and mom, Monday was uneventful. It was technically the New Year's holiday so everything but retail vendors were closed. We had lunch at Chili's (dessert was the best part, lol, a warm red velvet Bundt cake with warm cream cheese frosting topped with chocolate and ice cream), then went to Barnes and Nobles for a look around. I found a cookbook from the San Francisco bakery called Miette, the name of the book being the same as the name of the bakery. Beautiful book, beautiful pictures and great looking recipes.

For dinner Monday, I tried a pasta dish I had made for one of my clients, with tomatoes and basil and mozzarella cheese. I added sausage, however, as an extra protein boost. Turned out well, Jordan was pleased. We still had some cheesecake left over, so had a piece of that for dessert.

Tuesday I did some banking, called the BBB, looked at cookie recipes (I was in the mood to bake) and went grocery shopping. My mom and Janell came over for dinner. I was finally able to use the beef shanks I received from the woman we bought our beef from for the farm to table diner in September. I decided to make Osso Bucco. After lunch I baked a Blackberry Cobbler, then mixed up cookie dough for Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. I had to wait to bake them as I did not have any chocolate chips-I almost always have chocolate chips! Janell brought some over when she came. I started the Osso Bucco-it takes several hours. You sear the meat in olive oil and butter, remove them from the pan, toss in some diced onions, carrots, garlic and celery, add two bay leaves, deglaze the pan with Marsala wine, but the meat back in the pan, add chicken broth and tomatoes and let it bubble away for two hours. I served it with Saffron Rissoto and Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta. It turned out well! Everyone seemed pleased. The only one who did not like the dessert (Blackberry Cobbler) was Jordan. He thought it was too sweet. I always listen to everyone's complaints/compliments. After dinner we watched the results of the Iowa caucus. Interesting listening....

Friday we take my mom down to LA. Hope the weather holds out!

No comments:

Post a Comment