Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday, January 20, 2012

It was a long night. Jordan was up most of the night working and even though he tries to be quiet, I can still hear him. Ah, well, it's only sleep!

I baked my "No Knead" bread this morning. It really is easy. 3 cups of bread flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp yeast and 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water. Mix it up in a medium large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 12-16 hours (although I sometimes leave it for 24 hours. Bake inside a covered casserole dish or Dutch oven in a 475 degree oven for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes. Remove from dish, let cool on a wire rack. It's Jim Leahy's recipe. He has a bakery in New York and wrote a book on his technique. It really does turn out good bread. There are lots of "no knead" or "little knead" bread recipes but his is the best, I think.

I had lunch with Janell at Sushi Rose, went to Walmart then came home and baked three chocolate cakes (one recipe). Cakes are easier to frost if you left them sit and cool for a day. I have chocolate ganache for the inside layers and chocolate butter cream cheese frosting. I'll take a picture to post.

After Jordan finished teaching his class, we went out to dinner at Moxie's on Robb Drive. The food is not bad and they have the same waitress every night. She really nice. After such a dry spell, it started raining as we went into the restaurant and it was pouring rain when we left the restaurant! And it's still raining at 11pm. Guess that's a good thing, especially for the Pleasant Valley fire.

Gotta pack tomorrow as I leave for Maui on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment