Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wow! Where does the time go? It's November already!

Today I got early so I could make lunch for the Standards of Excellence employees. I must confess, I bought a pie crust. Just did not want to take the time to make my own. I also bought two disposable tins to bake the quiches in. I sautéed shallots along with asparagus and spinach, then put all that into the blind baked pie crust (to blind bake means to bake the crust while it is empty. It assures that the crust is crisp and flaky and not undercooked and doughy.), then added shredded Gruyere cheese. I topped all of that with a Royale made with eggs, half and half, Creme Fraiche and salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. Smelled really good-hope the SOE people liked it! Before I left to drop it off, I mixed up dough for Parker House rolls for the doctor's meeting. After I dropped off lunch it was on to my personal chef job.

That was easy today! Just three meals to make: Maple Chipotle Salmon with Wilted lettuce, Stuffed Turkey Breast with Mashed Potatoes and Orange Ginger Glazed Carrots and last but not least, Mediterranean Pork Chop with Green Olives and Preserved Lemon and Roasted Tomatoes on the vine. I stayed for lunch. We had the salmon. I served it with a mixed green salad with dried cranberries, toasted pecans and sliced Seckel pears. I found the seckel pears at Whole Foods. Cute little things that went well with the salad and raspberry red wine vinaigrette. I was done by 12:30pm! Almost didn't know what to do with myself, lol!

But then it was off to finish tonight's dinner for the doctor's. I rolled the dough into a ball shape, lined them up on a parchment lined baking sheet, let them rise a second time, then baked them off. I added more salt to the recipe this time because the last time I made them, a few weeks ago, I thought they lacked salt. Parker House rolls is a sweeter dough anyway but the extra salt adds to the flavor. Because I prepped yesterday ( did my mise en place-made sure I had everything ready for today), today was less stressful. I baked the stuffed turkey breasts, made gravy, whipped the cream for dessert, reheated the potatoes and carrots and I was done!

Then it was time to pack up everything, load up the car, and deliver dinner. Once there, I saw Rob Welti, one of my old bosses from Regent. He was very surprised to see me, lol. Wanted to know what I was doing at SCOR? I told him delivering your dinner! He had a lot of questions. I got dinner all set up, then it was back to the house. I'll pick up my chaffing dish and all the rest tomorrow. I had to tell Anne I was charging more for this dinner because of increased food costs (for a holiday dinner) and because this was a labor intensive meal. We'll see what she says when she sees the bill!

As for Jordan and I, we had lasagna for dinner, broccoli and salad. And now I am ready for bed! Got to get up early for a wellness clinic in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment