Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's been a busy couple of days. Sunday Janell, Jordan and I went over to "Aunt Pat's" house with my neighbor Sandy. Aunt Pat is Sandy's daughter-in-law's aunt. Confused? Don't be, we essentially went to Sandy's in-law's house. It was pot luck. I brought an egg, sausage, hash brown, sourdough strata (baked egg dish) and Janell brought a bottle of Moscato d'Asti. We bought it at Total Wine Saturday morning. We had a very nice time! There was lots of good food, good drinks and good company. The rest of Sunday was pretty quiet.

Monday I went to the Washoe County Health Dept to get my Food Manager Certificate. I filled out the rest of my paperwork, showed them my test results from Pete Allen, paid my $28, got my picture taken for my Food Manager ID, then went on to get my AES certificate at the Nevada State AES Center on Bible Way. Lots and lots of hoops to jump through! I took myself to lunch at Creme Cafe on St Lawrence off of Sou Virginia. They offer crepes as well as quiches and frittatas, salads and they have a small production bakery going on there. Creme is owned by the same people that own Sup (pronounce soup but my Sup needs two marks over the "u" before it qualifies as the nice German spelling it is suppose to be), with is only a block or so away. The people were friendly and helpful. They only have seven tables, so the place is not very big.m they were full went I went in there but by the time I left, there were only two of us. Very nice coconut macaroons! Other than that, I tried to go through recipes to see what I had for dessert offerings for Zozo's. I hat to admit it it, but I made Hamburger Helper for dinner last night. It was not that good, lol. I am trying to clean out the freezer and the pantry. Don't know where that box came from! Never again though. Even Jordon teased me about it, lol.

Today, I braved city hall and the courthouse to get my dba-filing a fictitious firm name. Because I am using "April Cooks Tonight!" as the name of my business and not April Woodward, I am working under a "dba" or "doing business as". $21 please. When I got to Ci Hall, the lady at the business license counter told me I had everything but my sales tax permit. So I had to head out to 4600 Kietzke to the Nevada State Dept of Taxation to file papers with them. Interestingly enough, when they typed my name in, Reno Silver Blades came up, my old fencing club! I had to tell them I was no longer associated with them. Imagine that?! It must be ten years or more since I sent Silver Blades up as a business/non-profit! Once I paid for that paperwork, it was back to Cityy Hall, where I paid $114 to the City of Reno for a business license. It all worked out.

After that, I stopped by SCOR and saw a few of the people I used to work with-Bobby, Kitty, Sally, Nita, Bomita, Tim, Michele, Nicole, Laurie and a few more. It was nice to see everyone and they seemed just as happy to see me. It's been almost a year since I left SCOR to go back to school. Can you believe it? It's been a long road, but well worth it.

After Scor, I went to the grocery store to get some prices on supplies for baking. I will likely do most of my shopping, at least for now, at the local grocery stores because I don't need supplies in bulk, at least not yet. That may change in the future, and I can get some things cheaper at Costco. I came home and started inputting recipes into my MenuMagic program so It would be easier to work out pricing. I'll finish it up tomorrow so I an drop it off at Zozo's tomorrow. We'll see what Judy says, although I won't bug her about an answer tomorrow, I'll wait a day or two, lol.

I met Mike for dinner. We went to Da Vinci's which is a restaurant in the newly reopened Siena. They have changed the decor and the menu. The food was good. I had deviled quail eggs (never heard of such a thing!!!) and Beef Filet Medalions Oskar (two filets topped with Bernaise sauce and crabmeat. Tasty! It was served with Garlic mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus. Mike had Cream of Artichoke soup (very good) and Ivory Wild Salmon. It got it's name because the flsh and flesh are white and not pink! I'll have to look that up, I've never seen it before! That was also very good. We shared deep fried cheesecake, which turned out better than it sounds, lol. Kind of like eating a soppapilla. I also interviewed him because he is my very first client!!! Yeah! Can't wait. I handed out cards to quite a few people today. It's also nice to be doing something again.

So tomorrow will be busy also. I need to organize my office, go see Judy at Zozo's, call and talk to Anne about catering the partnership meeting for SCOR, and otherwise clean house. Time for bed now, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment