Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday, April 23, 2011

We woke up to a cloudy, rainy day, suited for staying in and reading a good book. I didn't do either! Yesterday I had put together a recipe for Morning Rolls using Pepperidge Farms puff pastry. The filling is granulated sugar and vanilla extract. You roll them up like cinnamon rolls, but in this case, you let them rise an hour in a greased muffin tin, then put them in the fridge overnight and bake them in the morning (hence the name "Morning Rolls"). Leaving in the fridge overnight let's the dough ferment a bit, giving the puff pastry a hint of sourdough type tang. Then you bake them for 25-30 minutes at 385 degrees (yeah, I know, strange temperature, but it works!). You need to remove them from the pan before they cool otherwise you'll never get them out as the sugar caramelizes in the bottom of the muffin holes then hardens, not good!

After breakfast, Janell and I went to "Total Wine", the new wine "superstore" that just opened up where the old "Bed, Bath and Beyond" used to be. The place is HUGE! Lots and lots of good choices, very good prices, it's clean and well organized and the staff is very friendly. They are having wine tastings everyday for the next two weeks as part of their opening promo. The store not only has wine, but also carries beer and liquor. We had a good time looking around. Then it was home so I could go pick up my friend, Michael, at the airport.

I spent the afternoon looking at recipes so I can come up with a good list of desserts to offer Zozo's. First the recipes, then I need to work out pricing. We'll see what happens.

All in all, a quiet day. Time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment