Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday, April 22, 2011

"Scatter joy". -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't believe it's Friday already! Time to catch up.

Wednesday Jordan spent the morning with the Spatial Sciences Dept head talking about jobs. We'll see what happens. After we checked out of the USC owned Marriott hotel, we had lunch at "The Lab", a fastening on campus. The menu is small but unusual, the food quite good. I find myself looking at menus everywhere I go, checking out what goes into a dish, how it's made and how it's plated. All research I tell myself, lol. Jordan is getting used to it.

After lunch we leisurely drove up the California coast, stopping in Mendicito and Santa Barbara before ending up in Los Osos at the Woodside Inn. Beautiful setting in a small little town. Not much going on in Los Osos but they are right next to Morro Bay State Park and about 20 miles from San Lius Obispo. Just exploring...but it was SO quiet there. No traffic sounds, no big city sounds (like in LA), just nature.

We left Los Osos about 8:30am Thursday. Jordan had a 1:30pm meeting with the California Emergency Planning group, something to do with FEMA. I tell you, the man seems to be involved in a lot of things! We started to drive up Hwy 1 but cut over to the I-5 via Hwy 41. Hwy 1 takes quite a long time to drive and apparently they had a recent landslide so a large portion on Hwy 1 (which follows the California coastline) is closed until they can dig it out. Jordan was about 20 minutes late anyway but managed to get to the meeting. I dropped him off at his meeting and continued on home. Jordan got a ride back to Reno from a UNR co-worker.

I made it back uneventfully, unpacked the car, relaxed a bit, picked up Ah Choo from my sister's and came back home to find Jordan already home. I guess no one at the meeting wanted to stay past 4pm! Dinner was a remix of left overs with a large side of steamed brocolli, Jordan's favorite.

Friday morning, today, Calvin Willey came over to talk about landscaping the yard. Jordan and I will talk about what to do over the weekend. I spent the rest of the morning getting my ServSafe Certificate from Pete, then filling out paperwork for a City of Reno business license, a Nevada State license, DBA paperwork and getting a Federal Tax ID number. Brother, what a lot of work! And money! But you can't get a city license without getting a state license first. Lots of hoops!

I had lunch with my friend Kasha. She found a new place to try (I'm all about research!), Dee's Bakery. Looks like it's run by Dee and Dylan (not sure of the relationship there). Dee's offers soups, salads and sandwiches every day but Sunday. They also have lots of pastries, cookies, cakes and cupcakes. They leave samples out on the counter for people to try. Yum! We thought the frosting gs were a little too sweet, but the cake was moist with a nice structure. We both had a cup of soup with a half a sandwich, $9.

After lunch, it was back to paperwork and emails. Dinner tonight was steak with a baked potato and more broccoli! It was all good. We opened a bottle of Doffo Malbec, really nice! Doffo is what is called a boutique winery. They make good wine but small volume and not enough volume to sell to large chains so it's mostly word of mouth. I also belonged to their wine club for a while. A little educational TV then bed. I'll go back in and put some pictures of Lis Osos in tomorrow.

Night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment