Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I was up at 5:30am. Oneal, the taxi driver, is taking me to the airport. He says he'll be there between 6-6:30a and when he says we go, we go. Taxis are definitely not the same here as in the States. They run taxis here more like the mafia, lol. I came out at 6:15a, O'Neal was at the front desk, but he said we were waiting for another couple, who finally showed up around 6:40a. Guess they didn't get the memo! Turns out the couple were the friends visiting Janee this last week. They are from Colorado and have known Janee for years. They opened a restaurant in Salinas, CO seven months ago with great success. Sounds like their timing was perfect! While I was waiting, Millie came up and gave me a good-bye hug, as did Gloria (Glaa-ree-a) and Miss Viola. My last good-byes, no one else is there that early.

Once I got to the airport, I got checked in, then had to take my bags with me to take through customs, filled out a customs form, went through customs (they still don't know what a culinary intern is, lol), dropped my bags off in x-ray, then went on through security. Very interesting. I did not get breakfast so bought a Johnnycake with cheese at the airport. My last opportunity for Johnnycakes, lol. Don't know if you remember, but Johnnycakes are a slightly sweet dough that can have several shapes (small round or large and flat) and then get deep fried. A little is good, a whole one would give me a stomach ache! Our plane to San Juan was a puddle jumper prop plane. It was not full but it was small enough that no one was allowed a carry-on (with the exception of purses, briefcases and small backpacks). The plane from San Juan to Dulles (Washington, DC) was much larger. I ended up with an exit row seat. Tons of leg room, a nice surprise! It's a 30 minute flight from St Thomas to San Juan, Puerto Rico and a four hour flight from San Juan to Washington. Both flights were uneventful. My flight, however was half an hour late getting in. Vicki was at the gate to greet me. She looks the same! It was great to see her! It took a while to get my luggage, It's funny--I had the checked bags and Vicki only had a carry on. Usually it's the other way around!

Don was waiting in the cell phone lot to pick us up. Because it was late, and rush hour, he took the back roads instead of the beltway because of traffic. Beautiful country, even in winter. Lots of trees and rolling hills. We stopped and got dinner at a restaurant called Bravo. Pretty good Italian food. It was nice to catch up. When we got back to Betty and Don's house, Betty had already gone to bed, but got up to see us. She looks ok tonight. She had just taken a shower and felt better. We'll see how tomorrow goes. It's so nice she has Don to take care of her.

I was thinking on the flight back to the mainland, that I was pretty relaxed about the trip (even when it took forever to board and deplane on the San Juan to Dulles portion, lots of older people needing wheelchairs) and my future and was hoping the laid back island mentality lasts for a bit. Don't want to be lazy, but do not want to take things too seriously. Time will tell, lol.

Time for bed, boys and girls. It's good to be with close friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment