Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday, March 13, 2011


Saturday morning Jordan and I had lunch with our friends, Kasia and Gary, at a fairly new restaurant in Reno called Krumbles. It is behind Renown Medical Center on 2nd Street. It was started by two of the pastry chefs that were working at the Siena when it closed last year. They have a great pastry display case, with desserts (tiramisu, panne cotta, eclairs, cream puffs) as well regular pastries such as croissants, almond croissants, cinnamon rolls, etc. I had Strawberries and Cream French toast, Jordan has a huge cinnamon roll, Gary had the Meat Lover's Omelet and Kasia had two poached eggs and an almond croissant. Everyone seem pleased with their meal. Saturday afternoon I spent waiting for the Direct TV installer, who came earlier than I thought he might. Installation went well and it seems to work well. And it's cheaper than cable!

Saturday evening I made a soup of one package of sun-dried tomato chicken sausage by Adelle, 2 cloves of sliced garlic, 1 can of canellini beans, 1 can of diced Italian style tomatoes, 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 bunch of kale, torn into small pieces. it went together quickly and was done in about 30 minutes. It turned out quite well, if I do say so myself! I served it with slices of ciabatta bread. After dinner we watched the movie, 'The English Patient', on DVD. Jordan didn't like it much and I had seen it when it first came out, but not since then. Kind of a depressing movie.

Sunday we got up late (daylight savings time-spring forward, so we lost an hour). At least I feel like I am catching up on my sleep! A cloudy day, but we decided to drive up to Tahoe and Donner Lake anyway. Jordan wanted to check out the B&B in Donner we looked at last fall. It's still for sale, but there is so much snow up there, neither Jordan or myself would enjoy living up there year round. We took a driving tour of Truckee and found a small boutique winery called (surprise!) Truckee Winery. We did a red wine tasting, had some cheese (a minolette and a goat cheese), and bought two bottles of their Zinfadel, a 2006 and 2007. Both light and mellow, kind of a surprise for a Zinfadel. Their Merlot and Pinot Noir were someone sharp. After that, it was off to Cottonwood Restaurant for a light dinner. The menu was surprisingly innovative! We had an appetizer each. Jordan had roasted brussels sprouts with Parmesan cheese, I had oysters with sausage and fennel in a stout broth. They had bread from Truckee Sourdough Baking Co, always good! By the time we left it was snowing! The drive back to Reno was ok, as we were heading away from the storm. Back in Reno, we had a quiet evening. Jordan spent an hour or so with one of his USC students using Skype. She (the student) is in the military over in the Middle East. Amazing what you can do on the computer!!

I had tried to start my car this morning, but the battery is dead! It has not, unfortunately, been started since last November, so needs to get a jump or a new battery, one or the other. Guess that's one thing I will have to take care of tomorrow. Tomorrow is also Jordan's birthday, so I am making him little carrot cake made in mini-bundt pans. The mini-bundt pans are so cute! I am also atttempting to perfect a number of cookie recipes I have in anticipation of those being one of the items I will have available for sale. At least I have lots of volunteer taste testers, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment