Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday, March 24, 2011

My days have not been too exciting since I returned home, unless you count shoveling snow(!), something I haven't done for a very long time! Yesterday, I finished my online Sanitation 101 class only to find out today, that Washoe County has it's own class people in food service need to have. You can either go to a 16 hour class then take an exam OR you can take ServSafe online and take the exam. At that point, you become a "Certified Food Protection Manager". (How exciting is that?!). Once you have proof that you passed the exam, you go into the Washoe County Health Department, with the certificate, a picture ID and your checkbook and they give you the credentials that start you on your food service path. The woman, Susan, that I talked to wasn't sure if I would fall into a bakery status or a manufacturer status. She told me I would need to talk to an inspector. I think I'll do the online class. Except the ServSafe site is down this afternoon. I'll check the site again tomorrow.

I made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies yesterday using the "Silver Palate Thick and Rough Oatmeal" as well as the recipe inside the box. This oatmeal is cut a little thicker than regular oatmeal, which makes it more chewy. I did as I usually do and followed the recipe. I should know better, as the longer I bake and the more I read, I can tell now when the results are not going to be what I want. That being said, I did bump up the vanilla to 1 tablespoon when I made them. The flavor was great, the cookies were crunchy on the outside but chewy inside. They were flatter than I wanted, which means I need to increase the amount of flour in this recipe because I don't want to decrease the amount of butter.

I'd also like to compare Jennifer Bushman's original chocolate chip cookie recipe made with Fleischman's margarine and the same recipe made with butter to see if I can taste a difference. Some time ago I morphed Jennifer's cookie recipe into my own and making them with
butter still gives me the results I want. Another experiment! Any taste tester volunteers? "Do you prefer cookie A or cookie B?"

I'm still writing for Examiner.com and if you are reading this and haven't done so already, please subscribe to me on Examiner.com. I would appreciate it! I try to do an article every couple of days.

I took Ah Choo (my cat) to the vet today to get his little butt shaved so he wouldn't be what I (not always lovingly) call a poopy butt. He also got his leukemia and rabies booster. When we walked into the animal hospital, he meowed SO loud everyone turned to look at him. Apparently Ah Choo did not want to be there and wanted everyone to know because he kept it up for some time! After we got home, he was still "talking". Poor guy!

As I write this it is snowing like crazy! I went and shoveled the walk and the driveway so Jordan could get in the driveway. I came in soaked! And cold! Really wet snow, lol! A little hot chocolate helped that.

I pulled out a book I bought last year called 'Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business'. I'm going to take another look at it as I think I am going to need all the help I can get. I still need to come up with a name for the business. Which, I hope, will be the business of providing desserts for Reno area restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment