Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Well, I'm back in Reno, trying to get used to PST. My internal clock is still off so I can't seem to catch up with my sleep!

It was nice to see Betty for a week. I did some cooking and baking and managed to give Don a cooking lesson as he is doing a lot of the cooking now. He catches on pretty fast. He thought I should offer cooking lessons for people like him, who didn't know anything but wanted to learn. It's an idea! Betty is such a jewel, with such a good attitude about things! Makes me never want to complain about anything again, cause I've had it pretty good by comparison to a lot of people!

I am unpacked, washing clothes as I write (still multi-tasking) and getting used to being back home. Feels like I have been gone forever! And I have been gone almost four months. It is good to be back with Jordan, as busy as he is with UNR and teaching for USC. I have my kitty back, Ah Choo, and boy has he grown! He's a big guy now. I'll attach a picture of him.

I also started writing for an online company called Examiner.com. My official title is "Reno Cooking Examiner". I will be writing 2-3 articles a week about food and recipes and relating it locally to what is happening and available in Reno. It pays a little so maybe I'll get spending money out of this, lol! It will also be good experience for me. I just wrote my first article for them this morning but because I am new to Examiner.com, it must be reviewed by the editorial staff before it can be published. After that, I guess, I can publish at will. Having a blog apparently was a plus with them (who'd of thought?). I'll let you know when you can check me out!

I am slowly catching up with people, letting them know I am back in Reno. And now comes the hard part of life, trying to decide what to do with all this education and experience! Should I start a cookie business (which Jordan and I have talked about for over a year now)? Should I see if anyone will take me on as an apprentice baker to learn more about baking? Should I check and see if any of the personal chef companies or catering companies are hiring anyone? Should I see if some of the local restaurants would be willing to let me make desserts for them (a great many restaurants apparently buy their desserts because they do not want to hire a baker/pastry chef full time)? I am looking at the ACF job board online where they have jobs posted across the country. Should I try and contact Eric Ernest, the new executive chef at USC to see if he would let me participate in his plans to open a bakery on campus? Should I look up Dr Kressler, who told me to contact him when I get out of school (as he was thinking about getting out of medicine) and see what if anything he has in mind? Lots of choices. And I am sure there are a lot more out there that I have yet to think of! I am still planning on taking the Per Diem nursing job in pre-admit at SCOR. That will certainly help pay the bills while I look at all my options.

In the meantime, I will continue to blog, using it as a journal but perhaps also turning it into something useful to friends and family (and anyone else reading) for helpful cooking and baking tips as well as a source for tried and true recipes. If anyone wants to let me know of something you'd like to see added to the blog or questions you may have-let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment