Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The first day of spring! And what a lovely day it was. Sunny, in the 60s-what more could one ask for (I don't know. a million bucks? Nah..)

I baked No Knead bread this morning, after mixing the dough yesterday. I love how this recipe works. It's from Jim Lahey's book, "No Knead Bread". I just read he is coming out with a new book called "My Pizza" using the same method as for his No Knead bread. Works for me!


After I got the bread in the oven, I mixed up dough for Blueberries and Cream cookies, one of the recipes from the Momofuko Milk Bar cookbook. I still find Christina Tossi's recipes intriguing-such an unusual mix of ingredients and flavors. Makes me want to bake my way through her book just to try things out!

I went out with my sister, Janell after that. We did errands, ate lunch at Sushi Rose (it was better than the last time we were there) then went to Kohl's to do a little retail therapy. I bought a Kitchenaid hand mixer. When I am using small quantities of whipping cream or egg whites, my Kitchenaid stand mixer is just too big. And if I want to make any small batch baking, you really need a hand mixer to do them justice and not make yourself crazy. Then it was home and time to get some work done.

I spent the afternoon working on the LAHI project. What a mess some of these files are in! I've been searching the OSHPD.ca.gov website for various information. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't. Just goes to show that life IS messy-clean it up! While I was working on those files, Jordan came home and had a conference call to listen to one of the masters students defend his dissertation. I thought the student was a little confused and did not clearly present his material-I guess all the professors agreed, cause they put the student off for the time being. Poor guy!

I took a break and baked up the Blueberries and Cream cookies. They are tasty! The use freeze-dried blueberries (Trader Joe's) and the rest of the Milk Crumb recipe I had left from making the pistachio cake (which, by the way, get's it's "unveiling" on Friday evening at dinner). Yum! And not too much sugar. I did add a 1/2 cup more flour than the recipe called for after I remembered how much the previous cookies I made from this cookbook spread. These cookies turned out nicely shaped and rounded.



Dinner was leftover Beef Bourguignon. I served it over mashed potatoes. Even better the second day!

After dinner, I did a little more work mapping in ArchGIS, then worked in Excel and before I knew it it was time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment