Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday, March 19, 2012

Yesterday we woke up to snow-a good day to stay indoors! For breakfast I made the same Artichoke Red Pepper Frittata I had made for my personal chef client. Excellent flavor combinations. Very yummy!

After breakfast, it was back to the LAHI project. It never ceases to amaze me the information you have to wade through to get what you want. I am logging lots of computer time of late. Keeps me busy, lol. And Ah Choo seems to be catching up on his sleep!


Today I went grocery shopping for my Tuesday client. I've found that shopping the day before (I used to shop the same day) gives me time to find potentially difficult ingredients, and I feel less rushed on the day I cook. Everything still is fresh, so it makes sense to do it that way.

I came home after shopping and errands and made Double Nut and Date Tassies. Little mini tarts. If I didn't know there were dates in these little tarts, I would have thought they were made with caramel-just like a pecan pie! Sprinkle them with a little powdered sugar and you are done. They are easy to make, too. Another recipe from eatingwell.com.



Next I made Smoked Cinnamon Rice Pudding using arborio rice. This makes the rice pudding very creamy, almost like custard with rice. Of course Jordan put his two cents in by saying he likes more rice and less "pud". So for Jordan, I guess I'll have to make the more traditional rice pudding-one way to use leftover rice.

Dinner was marinated pork, baked potato and green beans with a little sauce over them (Jordan actually makes a variety of "little sauces" for artichoke dipping, topping green beans, topping asparagus, etc. He does a nice job most of the time. He does it strictly by taste. Apparently something he picked up when he helped with a friend's restaurant years ago.

The woman who wrote "Small Batch Baking", has written a new book called "Small Batch baking for Chocolate Loves". I bought it in eBook form and have been reading it during spare moments. It's nice to know you can have great tasting cakes, cookies, pies, tarts, etc on a small scale and don't need to made a large batch of anything. I want to try her chocolate chip cookies and her brownie recipe. It would be fun baking my way through her books, trying everything to see what it tastes like. And you wouldn't feel terribly guilty making all thse things, because they are small and you have little or no leftovers. You could make something new every day!! Yum-o, as Rachel Ray would say.

Now it's bedtime though. Tomorrow is another day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment