Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tonight we lose an hour by turning our clocks forward. Bummer! I hate losing sleep! Ah, well, whatcha gonna do? Life goes on, as they say.

Yesterday I made Coconus Macaroons. It's suppose to be a healthy recipe and other than the sweetened condensed milk in the recipe, there is no other sugar. I used unsweetened coconut flakes. Toasted sliced almonds, almond extract and egg whites. The recipe also calls for chopped pistachios and dried cranberries. I made half of the cookies without the pistachios and cranberries and half with. Both were good. Although they looked like the picture the recipe showed of the cookies, I was a little disappointed in their appearance. They taste great though! I had to do the cookies in batches and found that the second and third batch spread a little less, so next time I make them (Jordan loved them), I'll let the batter sit a while to firm up. Once the macaroons cooled, I drizzled chocolate over them.




Jordan and I went out to dinner last night to Sardina's. I'd never heard of it. Apparently Friday was their last day at this location (McCarran and Mira Loma. It is owned by a married couple. She cooks, he runs the front of the house. They moved here from Chicago to open a restaurant. Guess they've done well. The new restaurant will be on Longley Lane near Cafe de Thai. I thought the bread was dry and had little taste, but the salads were good and I liked my entree (Del Monico pasta-shrimp, scallops and clams in a white wine garlic sauce served over angel hair pasta). Jordan had Chicken Saltibucca. He also liked his entree. The couple seems very nice. We will definitely go again.

Today I wrote two articles for Examiner.com and did some online research. Seemed like a lazy day-the weather is suppose to change to chance of rain the next couple of days. I was getting ready to make a pistachio cake but needed eggs, so I had to put it off a day or so.

After dinner (stuffed pork chops, broccoli and steamed fingerling potatoes), we watched the Indie movie "Flow". It's a Sundance film about water and big business taking over water rights in almost every country of the world. Parts of this movie were similar to what we had seen in another movie shown at UNR, but this movie was even move depressing. The World Bank apparently has it's fingers in everything and in some instances has forced small third world countries to turn their water rights over to one of three big water businesses or lose any World Bank financial aid. Amazing. I think I will not be buying any Coke, Pepsi or Nestle products anytime soon...

Not a movie condusive to a good night's rest, but it is bedtime (or should I say past my bedtime-due to the time change!).

No comments:

Post a Comment