Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thursday, March 15, 2012

I got to sleep in until almost 8am this morning with no interference from the cat. Imagine my surprise! Jordan is usually up early and feeds him (Ah Choo definitely loves to eat), so he is used to eating early. Not this morning, although Mr Kitty made sure feeding him was at the top of my list upon arising.

I ran a couple of errands, then had a phone interview with JJ Morgan, long time manager at Moody's in Truckee. Abbi PR has been after me for a while to do an article on Moody's. The restaurant closed last fall for remodeling and re-opened in January of this year with a more varied menu. They are trying to bring in more clients. Guess I don't have an excuse not to write it....

I answered emails, talked to a head hunter at a staffing agency, then baked a pistachio cake. I am making a pistachio cake for a friend of mine using a recipe I got from the Momofuko Milk Bar cookbook I bought while I was on Maui. It's three layers thick but only six inches in diameter. I like the smaller cakes. This one gets "built" though inside of a cake ring using acetate strips for side support. It was interesting but lots of fun to do. Put a cake layer down, brush with pistachio oil, top with lemon curd, sprinkle with "milk crumbs" (a yummy, buttery crumble made from powdered milk, flour, sugar, cornstarch and butter, that is then baked, crumbled again and tossed with white chocolate), and then spread a layer of pistachio frosting over that. Then repeat two more times. It has to "set up" for 12 hours in the freezer before serving. Really interesting technique. I'll take pictures before I give it away.

Dinner tonight was at Beaujolais Bistro (a French restaurant on West Street downtown) with a friend of mine. We had fois gras, pate de Champagne, and then the Cassoulet. Yum! Yum! And time spent with friends is always good.

Guess I'll see what tomorrow hold, but for now, it's bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment