Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday, December 1, 2011


December already!! Only 24 days til Christmas, lol! And only a week before I leave for my Maui private chef gig. Just as it is starting to get cold in Reno......

I wrapped Christmas presents this morning, then went and had lunch with John Springgate at Silver Peak. I parked at his office and we walked over there. It was cold on the way there, but nicer by the time we finished lunch. A salad and pot stickers for me, corn chowder and a salad for him. They have surprisingly good pots tickers. I say surprisingly, because they are not a Chinese restaurant, lol.

After that, I ran some errands, did a little grocery shopping, then came home and started dinner.

I made Hoisin Short Ribs, which take a little time. Take 2-3 pounds of short ribs, salt and pepper them, then brown them in oil in a Dutch oven on top of the stove. Remove the meat and drain off all but 1 Tbsp fat and add 10 cloves of peeled garlic and a one inch piece of fresh sliced ginger to the oil. Stir for 1-2 minutes, then add 12 oz of a hearty ale and 3 Tbsp of rice wine vinegar. Mix, then return the meat to the pan. Simmer on top of the stove for 2 1/2 hours, covered. After 2 1/2 hours, add 1 cup Hoisin sauce to the pan over the ribs and place in a preheated 300 degree oven for 30-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with mashed potatoes and Sesame Seed Sugar Snap Peas (sauté the sugar snap peas in 1-2 Tbsp of oil and 1 Tbsp sesame seed oil until softened. Add in 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, salt and pepper to taste, stir and serve. Everyone seemed happy with the meals, which is always a good thing. I made some chocolate mousse for dessert.

My sister and mom and I watched "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" on TV (I love Christmas!) then they went home. It was a nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment