Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wednesday I had my mom and Janell over for lunch as I am leaving in the morning for two weeks. I served a variation of shrimp scampi, still using garlic and olive oil, but adding orange zest, orange juice, cilantro and a few pepper flakes rather than adding parsley. I made an icebox cake for dessert. Icebox cakes were popular decades ago. You layer chocolate wafer cookies or graham crackers with either whipped cream or pudding or something just as creamy, put in the icebox (refrigerator) for at least four hours and are rewarded with what looks like an intricate layer cake when you cut into it. The whipped cream softens the cookies so they taste more like cake. It's yummy! A nice "retro" dessert.

Jordan didn't think I should cook my last night in Reno, so he took me out to dinner at Charlie Palmer's Steakhouse at the Grand Sierra. A little bit of a sticker shock there, but good food. We split a steak/shrimp combo. I'd forgotten what it was like to order food that is all ala carte! I guess nothing is simple, lol.

I started on a new adventure today! I took a flight to Maui this morning via Seattle, to take a private chef job for two weeks. Beautiful setting here. We are on the northwest section of Maui called Kapalua at "The Ridge" near the Ritz Carlton. Beautifully manicured grounds, lush and green, although not all of Maui is green. They are in the middle of a drought. It's always a difficult concept for me when an island (in the middle of a large body of water) is said to be a desert island! Just doesn't seem possible, lol. As it's been a long day, we went out to dinner at Merriman's, a restaurant up the street. Lovely view, excellent food, excellent French wine, and good company. Tomorrow I begin working, although I don't think this will be a hard job. I'll be doing what I love to do-cook! This does feel like a dream....being paid to do what I love, in an exotic setting. I feel very lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment