Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day weekend! I can't believe it's September already!

Friday was therapy. They are working to break up the scarring over my patella. Doesn't seem like they are doing much at the time, but it must be doing something cause my knee always bothers me when they are done! I had lunch with Janell-sushi. Haven't had that for a long time. Then I got a haircut (haven't had one for two months!), then off to early voting for the Nevada congressional seat that is currently vacant. I came home and made soup from the leftover beans from the other day. Sauté equal amounts of onions, celery and carrots until softened. Then I added Italian sausage (two links for Jordan and I), then chicken broth, the white beans, a can of diced tomatoes, a bay leaf, fresh thyme, dried oregano, then simmered for about 45 minutes. Then I added fresh spinach and let that cook down and left the soup on the back burner on very low, just to keep it hot til Jordan got home. It turned out very well!

Saturday I made four cakes to use for my "cake truffles" (cake pop, no stick) that are due September 12. I figured I could mix up the doughs, form them into balls, then freeze them. I'll dip them in chocolate next weekend. That way I'm not going crazy doing everything at the last minute. I still spend a lot of time on the computer, looking at recipes and food and plate presentations. I decided maybe I need to go back to some of the cookbooks I have and peruse those for new ideas.

Today we tried to go to the Sparks Rib Cook-off, but it was SO crowded we couldn't find a parking place! Since we (Jordan, Janell and I) were hungry, we had lunch at the Gold and Silver Inn on 4th Street across from the Gold Dust West. Guy Fieri did a show on the Gold and Silver recently, as my sister Michele reminded me, so I thought it was worth going to. I hadn't been there in years! Jordan and I split the Lemonade Pork Chops and Janell got the Tri-Tip sandwich with Mahagony Sauce (BBQ sauce made with grape jelly!) and fries. Everything was good. The place is still old (it has to be at least 50 years old) but the food was good, and the staff is obviously proud of the Food Network recognition they received.

Not sure if we'll try and go back to the Rib Cook-off tonight or not. We're hoping the traffic (people) will drop off later in the day. We'll see!
In the meantime, I need to bake some chocolate chip cookies and make up my last pan of cake into cookie truffles. And I still need to go to the store. Tomorrow we are going over to Jan and Jim's house to try more recipes, new London Broil from KT Beef and let Jan try the chicken dish. I'm making Savory Palmiers, Roasted Tomato Soup, Chicken Stuffed with Herbed Goat Cheese with Warm Grape and Pine Nut Salad, Peach Crostata and Chocolate Mousse. Lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment