Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday, September 16, 2011

I thought Thursday would be a quiet, rest day, but it was not to be....

Our backyard cat started to want to come in the house, but as we still weren't sure of the cat, we did not let her in. I was having a hard time with this, so Thursday morning, caught the cat (the cat came right up to me when I brought some food out, so I scooped her up and put her in the carrier I already had outside), and took her to the Washoe County Animal Shelter (Humane Society). Turns out the cat was not feral but had a chip, was female, 9 years old and her name is "Tigger". I am hoping they find the family who owns her but if not, we may end up taking her in. She is a pretty cat..... We'll see.

After that, I helped Michael put up some pictures and he showed me around the kitchen I will be cooking in starting week after next. He is moving shortly. Such a nice house!

By the time I got home, I had an hour's sit down, then met Hannah from Hulsman Ranch and picked up the 16 pounds of London Broil we are using for the Farm to Table dinner. Did I tell you we have 51 people signed up? And that does not even count Jan and Jim and Jordan, nor our wait-staff! AND we have a waiting list of people who want to come. I'm not sure I thought we could pull this off, but looks like we will.

Thursday at 4pm, Jordan and I drove up to the Lake to Thunderbird Lodge. They have been selling my cookies all summer. It was their last "Thunder Thursday", a cocktail party of sorts for their patrons and volunteers. Bill, the manager (who LOVES my cookies and blames me for his ever expanding waistline,lol), took a few of on a tour of the Lodge as well as the Thunderbird boat. OH-la-la! Beautiful lodge with stunning views! Bill also had a lot to say of Mr. Whittel, the original owner of Thunderbird Lodge. Whittel was quite a character. I brought up some of my cake truffles, although the event was catered and they were not needed. There was prosciutto-wrapped figs with blue cheese, Gourgeres filled with veggies and a little piece of bacon, Mango Springrolls and Lemon Meringue bars. All quite good. Bill did suggest that he needed to being me up to cook a dinner at Thunderbird Lodge. To which I replied, "I'd love to!". We'll see what happens there....

Today (Friday), I worked the Flu shot clinic at the Walmart on Damonte Ranch Pkwy. Ugh! Long day. I gave 31 shots, which at least helped to pass the time, but the pharmacy staff was not very friendly and there was no one that offered any help. I guess the staff at the 7th Street and Mae Anne Walmart are unique. There was also some problems contacting Mollen Immunizations in the morning. You have to call the company twice a day when you work-once to clock in and once to clock out and give them clinic information with numbers of shots given, vaccine levels, etc. Frustrating when computers don't work!

I stopped to see Ric on my way home, who gave me money for two tickets to the Farm to Table dinner (good guy), then came home. Ah Choo keeps looking for the other cat outside. I guess he doesn't understand she is gone. When I got home there was a message from Laurie, the manager at Standards of Excellence offering me a job. It would be once a month starting October 26. When I didn't hear back from them, I thought they either hired someone else or decided not to hire any one. So, I will call her back on Monday and see what we can work out.

I have an interview tomorrow up in Truckee from 8am-10am. Had to get my resume in order, have a list of references, take a four page test (on food and service), bring some sample menus and write a cover letter. Whew! Guess we'll all see what happens in the morning! I could be cooking for the rich and famous and moneyed Truckee-Tahoe crowd! After that, Jordan and I will drive on to the Davis Farmer's Market and check out their produce. And THEN, we ar egging to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) where I'll be taking a class on The Flavors of Tuscany. A gift from Jordan and a nice little getaway before the start of a crazy week! Gotta love the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment