Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's hard to believe it's almost the end of June! Where does the time go?

I spent a good share of today pricing cheese trays, deciding what to put on those cheese trays and also pricing for fruit and veggie trays. Actually Target ended up being a good source for pricing! Not everyone puts prices online, they want you to call. I decided to offer a three cheese tray of one soft or fresh cheese (like Camembert or goat cheese), one hard or firm cheese (like Gouda or Manchego) and one blue cheese. I would also incorporate either fresh seasonal fruit or dried fruit and some nuts. I also came up with cheese trays of all French cheeses, all Italian cheeses and all Spanish cheeses. Pricing them all is where Target came in handy, lol. They had pricing online for a small tray (8-12 people), a medium tray (8-16 people) and a large tray (16-20 people). And depending on what and who you read, you could provide guests with either 1-1.5 oz of cheese all the way up to 6 oz of cheese per person! Such a range. And it depends on whether or not the cheese is for a cocktail party or appetizer or main course. Lots of information out there, you just need to sort through it all. We did cover cheese in school and covered offering a small variety of cheeses. Cheese and fruit can also be considered a dessert course.

I also emailed pricing for chocolate chip cookies to the ladies at the Thunderbird Lodge Historical Society to see if they still were interested in selling my cookies up at the Lake. The cheese tray quotes were for them also as they asked me about doing a little catering. We'll see what happens there. It seems that people have good intentions about working with me but don't always follow through with their plans or don't end up calling. It has been interesting doing all this. And I am very thankful for the support I get from friends and family. Otherwise it is easy to get discouraged by lack of business.

I made a chocolate Bundt cake last night with chocolate chips to take with me to the BBQ tonight at Kasia and Gary's. I drizzles Chocolate Ganache over it this morning in lieu of either frosting or chocolate whipped cream. Janell just called to ask about the time of the BBQ and asked if I was bringing anything. I told her chocolate cake. She asked if I was bringing vanilla ice cream. I told her no, but that she could bring some ice cream. So I guess she's gonna do just that. Chocolate cake and ice cream is always a good combination!

Jordan just got home from his long bike ride, the cat is sleeping next to me on the couch, classical music is playing in the background, and it's a sunny, quiet day. All is well at this particular moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment