Saturday, June 11, 2011

Friday, June 10, 2011

Thursday morning was spent (again) on my computer, working with Shop'n Cook, the menu computer program I have now bought to run on the Mac computer Jordan bought. I had lunch with Ric at, yes, Arlington Gardens. He does eat at other restaurants but not much, lol. At 2:30pm Jordan came home from work and we drove up to Lake Tahoe. I am acting as a quasi-event coordinator for him while he is organizing his "My Plan Wildfire Workshop". He is coordinating it between the states of California and Nevada to get one plan or at least a joint plan together for fight wildfires since both states share such large borders areas.

First we checked out Tahoe House, a bakery, deli, gourmet store in Tahoe City, Ca, one of the small villages in Lake Tahoe. They supply the cookies and desserts for the Cal-Neva. The Cal-Neva charges $3 a cookie for snacks in their banquet area so Jordan wanted to see what a $3 cookie looked like, lol. They are large! They weight 5-oz and only cost $1.75 at the Tahoe House.

Next we circled back around the Lake to the Cal-Neva to meet with their Special Events manager, Jim. Seems like a nice man. He's only been in this job 10 days! We talked about what Jordan was looking for in a meeting space, took a look at the guest rooms, the meeting space and talked about food during the meetings. Using the menu options Jim sent Jordan, I had come up with a Thursday morning snack package (the meetings are suppose to start at 10am), a hot lunch at 1pm with two options, Friday breakfast of a small buffet, a box lunch for Friday noon and a Friday afternoon snack. Not only does the Cal-Neva not have a pastry chef (hence the use of Tahoe House for their desserts), they do not have an Executive Chef either. A part of downsizing and economizing in poor economic times. The Director of Food and Beverage runs the kitchen. And the majority of staff at the Cal-Neva has been there for years. Interestingly enough, other than a few slot machines, the Cal-Neva has removed all of it's gaming tables. No explaination as to why. There is a Lake view from all the guest rooms-nice!

After the Cal-Neva, we went over to the Soule Domaine restaurant (not exactly where I remember it being, lol, but they hadn't moved, just my bad memory!). We met with Charlie, the chef/owner about using their restaurant for a Thursday evening dinner for the seminar. We talked to him in the kitchen. Charlie has owned the restaurant for 21 years! It started off as a French restaurant, but has undergone several culinary changes over the years. He was very charming, albeit somewhat distracted by dinner prep. Yes, we could either bring our group of 40 in at 5pm or 8:30pm for a choice off the menu, or we could rent the entire restaurant (a buy out they call it) for about $2300 and he would come up with a special menu for us within that price. I think Jordan wants to offer his workshop people something other than Cal-Neva food during their stay. A smart move, I think. Since the workshop is not until September, we have some time. We did end up eating dinner at the Soule Domaine. The people are very nice, very friendly and the food was excellent! I had a three scallop Appetizer. Jordan had a salad. We both had a little cup of curried carrot soup, then we shared the salmon entree. Like I said, everything was good. The restaurant serves hummus instead of butter or olive oil with their bread, interesting... (I'm pretty much a butter girl, lol).

The day was beautiful up at the Lake and the drive back to Reno uneventful.

Friday morning I was looking at recipes (I have a cake commission to do this weekend) when I got a call from Dr Lynch! He wants me to cater lunch for 35 at his Sparks office. Hooray! Another job! I called Debbie, his office manager, and she already knew what she wanted, lol. Beef kabobs. So that's what they will get: Beef Kabobs, Orzo with tomatoes and Parmesan, a Mixed Greens Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette and "Outrageous Brownies". It is scheduled for next Friday, June 17. Of course that is the same day as the Reno Silver Blades
Charity but the charity is in the evening, so I should be ok. Besides, for RSB I will be rounding out the menu, so I don't have to worry about entrees. Guess I should decide soon, what I am going to do for them!

I ran errands in the afternoon, then had Ric and Andy over for dinner. We had Asian Flavored Beef Skewers, Goat Cheese and Herb Mashed Potatoes, Sesame Roasted Asparagus and Chocolate Mousse with shortbread cookies for dessert. Jordan made cocktails and for an appetizer I made Savory Palmiers filled with ricotta cheese, parsley, Parmesan cheese and prosciutto. Everyone seemed pleased, I got to try some new recipes and we all had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment