Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wednesday turned out to be a rainy windy day. I'm ok with that, the setting is still beautiful! Paradise by any other name....

Lest you think I am lolling here in continuous sunny weather-here is a pic for you!. I awoke to rain and was actually glad, because I had gotten a little too much sun the day before so my face and chest were reddened. It did however, clear up some and my friends went to the beach, while I stayed in. I talked to my mom in the morning-always a pleasure!

After that, it was time for lunch. California BLT sandwiches. What makes it California, is the avocado and the basil mayonnaise. Toasted bread, bacon, lettuce and tomato. I mashed the avocado to make it easier to eat the sandwhich. Otherwise the slices of avocado tend to smush out. The basil mayonnaise was a mix of regular mayo with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, chopped fresh basil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Very easy, actually but it makes a nice statement on the sandwich.

The afternoon was spent working on menus. I think I will be very busy when I get back. Beth has lined up a few catering jobs. I had to pass off a catering job to her. I was contacted by the office staff of one of my clients, a doctor. They want to throw him a surprise birthday party on February 12. I will still be gone, so told them they could contact Beth as I was unavailable. Beth in turn was contacted and asked me to make up a menu, which I did. Black tie, I was told in the original email. So I made a fancy menu, passed it on to Beth and it was accepted by the office staff. I tried to keep it elegant but simple so Beth and her staff would have no problems executing the menu.

Dinner last night was Smothered Chicken. That is a baked chicken breast, topped with creamed spinach and sauteed mushrooms with sliced mozzarella cheese. Bake it until the cheese starts to brown, serve and eat! I served it with mashed potatoes. Oh, so yummy!

A little reading time, then bed. And another beautiful sunset.....

It was cloudy when I got up this morning, but soon cleared. We went to the beach. What a great beach, so calm yet wild. Looking out onto the ocean, you can expect to see whales playing out in the channel. A tail jumps out or the entire whale jumps out of the water and splashes down. You have to keep a close eye out or you'll miss it. Whales are such glorious, magnificent creatures. So lucky when you can watch them play! And the surfers are always fun to watch. The energy they expend, standing up and catching a wave, getting knocked down only to get up again.

After the beach it was time for lunch. Crab Salad Melts. Crab salad, which contains, crab (surprise!), minced celery, red bell pepper, thinly sliced asparagus, mayo, Old Bay, sliced green onions piled on an English muffin, then topped with shredded Gruyere cheese, then broiled. Hmmmm, hmmmm, good! I served it with a wedge salad topped with Ranch dressing. We ate out on the veranda, but I have to say it was so windy it was not very pleasant! The wind blew so hard it blew the coffee out of my cup when I went to drink it. AND it blew the last bite of my salad off my fork and onto the floor. I guess I should be thankful I did wear the coffee or the salad!

This afternoon I worked on some research Jordan asked me to help with. For some unknown reason, I like doing research. Almost any kind of research, doesn't seem to matter much what it is.... Go figure!

I had to start dinner a little earlier than usual as I made Beef Bourguignon for dinner. Laura Calder's recipe, the best I have tasted so far. Side of mashed potatoes and I was done....

Dessert tonight? A repeat of the Strawberry Shortcake. It REALLY is a good shortcake recipe, lol.

Now, it's time for bed. Guess I'm still on PST! I will leave you with a parting sunset shot. Hawaiian sunset are gorgeous, always.....

No comments:

Post a Comment