Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Today was a surprise field trip (as I call it-restaurant research!).  We had breakfast out at the Westin Hotel in Ka'anapoli.  Stunning views, and really, pretty good food.  They have renamed the restaurant since I was there last.  It is now the Relish Burger.  Hmmm....  Anyway, we had Eggs Benedict-very, very nice!  There was even talk about a road trip to one of the local wineries.  Imagine-wine making on Maui!  What a surprise!  All in the name of research, I say.  :)



I was trying to buy new Crocs but apparently the Crocs store at Whaler's Village has closed.  Too bad.  I did not realize this, but the main business on Maui used to be whaling.  And Lahaina on Maui was the state capital.  The royal family used to come on a regular basis to Maui because it was such an important source of local income.  It was in the late 1800s however, when the capital of the Hawaii was changed to Honolulu.  Lots of history here!  Whaler's village has a lot of information on whales as well as a whale skeleton on display.  The size of the vertebrae are astounding!

Then back to Kapalua. Time for a trip to the beach!  After all the rain and clouds yesterday, the sun shone brightly today.  About six surfers in the water as far as I could tell.  The waves were not all that large, still a great time to practice, I suppose.  I was nosing around the condo this morning and found beach chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards. I am thinking I will try to boogie board before I leave this lovely place.  My friends think I am crazy!  Still, I do not like the thought of getting to the end of my life, feeling like there were things I didn't do just because I was afraid.  Life is too short.  

Lunch today was Lentil and Couscous Salad.  Very nice.  Two salads in one really.  A tossed green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers tossed with a vinaigrette.  The lentils and couscous (same amount of each) are both cooked separately, cooled, then tossed with the same vinaigrette as the green salad.  The lentil and couscous salad are then placed on top of the greens, then topped with feta cheese.


The afternoon was filled with editing my cookbook and dealing with finalizing a wedding we are doing in October.  The couple are friends of mine so I really want to cater the reception and having Creme Cafe behind me will make the job much easier.  And so it is settled for now.  It's a nice feeling to have friends who want you to be a part of their wedding because they love the way you cook.  :)

Dinner tonight was Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Salad.  Both lunch and dinner were fairly light meals.  The pork tenerloin was browned on top of the stove (just salt and pepper) in an oven-proof frying pan (you could grill this as well), then finished off in the oven.  About 5 minutes before the pork was done, I brushed the pork tenderloin with apricot jam.  The salad is either arugula (which I could not find at the grocery store), watercress or spinach.  In my case, spinach was the easiest thing to find.  The dressing: equal parts olive oil and white wine vinegar, apricot jam (a tbsp or so), finely diced shallots (1-2 tbsp), then salt and pepper.  It makes an unbelievably good vinaigrette.  Toss the salad with the dressing, plate it, top with sliced pork tenderloin and top with roasted apricots.  Now there are no fresh apricots available, which is what should be used in this recipe, so I used dried apricots and just plumped them up with hot water.  I roasted them in the oven as well.  A rather tasty dish, if I do say so myself.  It would be a great summer evening dish.  


Another recipe from the EatingWell.com files.  

Dessert was rice pudding made with Almond Milk.  Don't ask me why almond milk, but I have experimented with using almond milk and coconut milk off and on for the last year.  I do like the way it tastes in some things, although I would not want to drink it by the glass neccesarily.  Still, it was tasty!  No dessert picture tonight.

After dinner we watched "The Mind of a Chef" on PBS with David Chang, narrated by Anthony Bourdain.  What a pair!  Still, it was better than I thought.  David Chang, though extremely talented as a chef, can be annoying cocky at times.  

After that-blogging, then reading a bit, then bed.  Another gorgeous day in paradise.....




No comments:

Post a Comment