Monday, February 9, 2015

Monday, February 9, 2015

I was all set to make Cream Scones this morning but we decided to wait until tomorrow morning instead. Tomorrow is suppose to be a rainy day--a good day to bake!

Breakfast on the veranda, Greek Yogurt with fresh pineapple and 9-grain bread toasted and served with Guava Jelly. Great stuff, Guava Jelly!

Next, time for the beach. You do get into a routine here, once you've been for a while. No rush, nothing really to do. No worries. Today at the beach, however, the wind kicked up and started blowing sand. A little like being sand-blasted or having your own micro-dermabrasion, lol. Time to leave as sand gets everywhere! I did take a few pictures though. Today the waves were pretty small. There was only one surfer out there and he didn't stay out long.

I did not add this picture yesterday, but it is remarkable because it shows how small the surfer is compared to the waves. Amazing no one drowns!

After the beach, you need a shower, just to get all the sand off! Then it was time to fix lunch. Chicken Caesar Salad, dressing from scratch! I have the original recipe from Harrah's Steakhouse in Reno.

Harrah's Caesar Salad

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic
1-2 anchovies
1/2 lemon, juiced
6-8 shots Worchestershire sauce
1-2 shots Tobasco
1 large tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 head Romaine lettuce
2 large tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 cup croutons

Preparation:
In a large wodden bowl, grind the garlic with 2 forks. Add the anchovies and continue to grind the two until smooth. Add the lemon juice and grind until well mixed. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and mix well. Add the Romain and toss, then add the Parmesan cheese and homemade croutons. Plate and serve.

Still the best recipe I have come across for Caesar Salad!

I spent the afternoon reading, texting my boss at Creme Cafe (I had to tease her about Pigs in a Blanket. Did you know they sell Pigs in the Blanket at the Maui Market? Who would have thought?) and researching recipes. I did do a little editing of my cookie cookbook. I am waiting to hear back about getting a cover design. I am pleased I am finally finished! I had wanted to publish before Christmas but that did not happen.

By the time dinner rolled around, it was too windy to eat on the veranda so we had our Turkey Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and Sautéed Zucchini with Cherry Tomatoes indoors. Ellie Krieger's recipe.
Dessert was Blueberry Crumble with Whipped Cream. I had leftover crumble topping to use. Only blueberries looked good at the market so that is what we got!

The days here are definitely quiet. I must be getting older because that doesn't bother me as much as it did 5 years ago when I was so busy I didn't know how to be still. Two weeks in Hawaii, spent cooking and reading and sunning is not a bad gig to have, aye?

I'll leave you with more Maui sunsets. They are SO gorgeous, with every day a little different. It is clouding up, getting ready to storm....

No comments:

Post a Comment